Double pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i replace a single pole light switch for a double pole and still use it as a single. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Yes - you can if you want to. They look similar to light switches, but not exactly the same (light switches on left, DP switches from same m'fac on the right):

MKK4870.JPG
MKK5403.JPG

TEMPBG911.JPG
BG930.JPG

CM2711.JPG
CM1798.JPG

But why do you want to?

why do you wan't to?

if its because the switch in question has a neon be aware that the neon needs a return path to light up. There is usually no neutral at a lightswitch, i guess since a neon is extremely low current you could use the earth but this is considedered to be bad practice.

Sponsored Links
ANDYK4 said:
can i replace a single pole light switch for a double pole and still use it as a single. :?: :?:
do you mean use a 2 way as a 1 way?

ban-all-sheds said:
Except, of course, when you buy those plateswitch locators with neons in...

not true, they do not use the earth either, they "backfeed" through the lamp to neutral

plateswitch locators are generally wired accross the switch so they come on when the light is off (and the current they draw is insufficiant to light the bulb)

you could do this with a switch with neon but it might be a bit confusing having a neon indicator come on when the light is off.

Ah - OK - my mistake. Never used one. Presumably then no good, possibly, with fluorescents?

And beware changing a light fitting if its switched by one of them :LOL:

All mk masterseal switches come with a locator, use it across the switch, or to neutral, they leave it disconnected for you to choose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back