Spain: Garage / Utility wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I had a circuit into my garage which provides sockets for a washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer, a few other low power items (ni-mh battery charger, stereo) and the occasional use of power tools.

I originally made this a ring working from the MCB

Following some reworking by local builders (spanish) new walls etc, they have also added some extra sockets, and twice in 2 days the earth trip has triggered. It appears to be what I believe is the earth, the one with the test button, which is labeled as 40A - 30mA.

This appears to happen when the circuit is under heavy load (washer and dryer both on, or washer and circular saw.)

Upon inspection of their work, they appear to have taken the return feed for the ring and used it to extend the system to the new sockets, hense 1 long spur i think.

Would this be the cause of the earth problem ? and should I fit a new return to complete the ring once again? I know rings are not common in Spain.

Many thanks for your help, suggestions

Sponsored Links
If you have a "test" button then you are probably looking at a RCBO or a RCD. If Spanish MCBs are like the French ones then they don't have "test" buttons.
It might trip for two reasons:
(1) Faulty wiring/appliance - an earth leak
(2) Overload

Calculate the total load for the appliances, if this is over 40A, then you have an overload and need to either reduce the load or upgrade the wiring and the RCD/RCBO and MCBs as appropriate.
If tripping occurs when the appliances start/swtch on you might need to change the type of MCB however this shouldn't be necessary if the appliances are "domestic".

Sponsored Links
Back