Spark Generator Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some questions about the spark generator / igniter on a Potterton Performa 28, the part is 248097.

It has 3 base terminal pins and a single spark output to the electrode. One of the 3 base terminal pins is a ground the other 2 terminals are marked 1 & 2. It's labelled as 230v AC.

What voltage and procedure is required to induce the spark. What are the component parts to these devices?

I can only guess is it's capacitor, triac and step-up coil but I'd just be guessing.

My goal is to understand how it works and how to test one of these devices.

Kind Regards

Jules

Sponsored Links
It depends on the design.

Some types are meant for direct-240V ac connection, they issue a train of sparks and make a loud-ish buzzing noise.

The other type are for pulsed DC operation. The primary coil is fed from a capacitor that charges up via a diode and resistor off the mains. When the voltage across the capacitor exceeds a certain voltage, a thyristor fires and dumps the capacitor's charge into the transformer, inducing a single strong spark on the secondary. Then the cycle begins again. Those type go tick-tick-tick quietly and seem more common on combi's these days. I suspect they are required to meet strict european laws on interference.

The secondary produces several thousand volts to jump the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back