Speaker holder built into fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a speaker holder in the top part of my fireplace (just below the mantlepiece). I had a British Gas engineer get vaguely threatening about it not being safe and inventing wildly stupid scenarios in which it would fall off, catch fire, burn the house down, and our insurance not paying out, and that we need to remove it.

We hardly use the fire and when we do we have to be in the room anyway as we have dogs. The fire even has a fireguard in front of it. Am I missing something obvious or was this british gas guy just an arrogant idiot trying to boost his ego by inventing vague rubbish. This is a gas fire, not an open one.

Sponsored Links
I am in no way a gas engineer, but what happened if a hurricane blew out your windows, and you were blown into the fire?

Totally pathetic scenario, but at least you would have something to grab a hold of, and pull yourself out.

Heat does destroy magnets though.

But your speakers would catch fire first !!

Shake his hand and say "you nearly got me"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back