Spec for an alarm for an elderly person

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an elderly relation who has been burgled numerous times now and we want to install an alarm system in her property for additional security.

On all occassions access was achieved by the same location - which is shielded from view of nieghbours and from the road.

My thinking (which may be incorrect or unfeasible) is the following:

• -Exterior light with discrete recording camera - will not trigger alarm due to false detections. However, will record on a cyclic buffer upon detection of motion.
    -PIR motion sensors in all rooms.
    -Discrete camera (HD???) with sound recording in the room where access will lead into.
    -When alarm is activated, cameras will start streaming to a remote storage system - either a cloud via internet or similar. Reason being that alarm will only go off when they are in house so only option is to try an obtain clear images of the culprits as deterrent has failed.
    -2 zone alarm system - so that at night alarm can be activated and yet path to bathroom is free from triggering the system.
    -Simple control panel for elderly person to operate.
    -Either monitoring system or list of numbers to dial automatically when alarm is activated.
    -Albility to access the cameras via remote computer/smartphone to determine if reason for alarm can be determined - i.e false alarm or need to contact police.
    -Possibility of integrating fire/smoke alarm into system.

I appreciate that this is a big list. However, I've not had much use of alarms before - either usage, abilities or design and I would appreciate any feedback and if possible an indication of the feasibility and cost of the outlined system above.

Alternatively if the above is just a daft idea, can someone please inform me of a good system to install.

I would like to get this installed before the winter and dark evenings take hold.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest that you contact your local independant security company and get someone round to take a look.

You say that they've been burgled numerous times and entry was always in the same place... Why don't you fit extra locks, window locks, bars, or whatever? Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officer? There are various organisations who will provide additional security for free to vulnerable people.

I'd look at this sort of stuff first before getting excited about streamed HD CCTV :rolleyes:

The local CPO told her not to bother.

Doors & Windows have been secureed as much as possible without turning the room into a prision cell with the bars on windows.

She has decided she wants the security of an alaram and I am trying to figure out what is the correct spec for one for her.

I don't want to get a guy out to quote yet as it is difficult to reject them when they get that far.

Sponsored Links
We all quote without obligation so forget the hard sell. The CPO needs sacking. Good quality windows and locks are the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back