DIY Smart Wifi/RF Alarm Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to create a 'Smart' Alarm system in my house that will work predominately on Wifi/RF but with the option for cabling if needed.

I'm not looking to have a full alarm operational with arm/disarm daily when we are not there due to potential of false alarms with cats, a lodger & young children!

Currently I have two external bell boxes (Honeywell - Reson8) which are new but not powered up properly yet.
I also have two existing Reolink RLC420 - IP cameras which send push notifications on motion detection

Aside from the main house there are 2 sheds & a detached garage I want to have detection in (either PIR or door sensors working off Wifi or RF)

Basically I would want to have the ability to remotely trigger the alarm when I've detected unwanted activity either via the outbuildings sensors or cameras.

Initially I was thinking of getting a cheap traditional alarm panel that can power the external bell boxes & then interfacing that somehow with a Smart system (e.g Sonoff RF 433 bridge) that is linked to external door sensors/PIRs.
The Sonoff would in theory give push notifications to my phone on detection that I could then decide to trigger the alarm bell boxes (e.g. using a Sonoff relay linked to a zone on the alarm panel).
Same applies with the Reolink cameras, if I got a push notification & saw something dodgy going on, I could again trigger the alarm bell boxes remotely from my phone.

Problem here would be remote disarm, I can see being able to trigger an alarm status ok but would need the ability to remote reset.

Anyone tried something similar & could recommend components to use? I note Texecom was mentioned on another thread. Alexa integration would also be nice but not a major requirement!

Sponsored Links
Keyswitch zone ...but by the time you have bodged all that together just get a app based panel
E.g. Texecom , Pyronix , galaxy ...ect

I'd say all you really need is another sonoff with relay/volt free/dry contacts and a 12v power supply. No need for an alarm panel.

Wire the sonoff to switch the bell trigger. Then use the sonoff app on your phone to turn the siren on or off.

Sponsored Links
Or have you thought about using something like SmartThings? You could do it with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back