Suggestions for outdoor PIR to trigger lighting and CCTV/Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a hikvision dvr with alarm in and outputs, a gjd elite external pir to trigger the dvr, and a pyronix enforcer with wired/wireless inputs and four programmable outputs (app enabled). My objective is for the gjd pir to trigger an output on detection to

1) turn mains external lights on (not got these yet)
2) output the state to the dvr to manage the event/recording
3) perhaps an alarm Input so it can be recorded as open. From there it may use one of the further four user outputs.

2) and 3) are easily achievable and I am already triggering the dvr, but I'm not sure how to tackle 1) turn on external lighting on detection.

What is the challenge in triggering mains lighting with an external detectors designed for cctv/alarms, utilising microwave/pir which is less prone to false detection?

Can a regular security light with built in pir trigger the camera as well? If not, what do I need to do this? I'd rather use the gjd for detection

How could the pyronix outputs turn on outdoor lighting?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you just need to incorporate a relay or two into this setup and forget about the built in PIR (bypass it). Are you comfortable with relays, electronics, wiring etc...?

The pyronix output would switch a relay which in turn tells the light to switch on

I am not a pro, I am an IT engineer with commercial networking background, but have knowledge in wiring alarms/cctv, and electrical wiring for my own purpose. Love a challenge!

If you could explain in more detail of what I need to do, then I can do more research from there.

Thanks

The Elite has two relay outputs that you can connect to your NVR and alarm system respectively. It also has the "A" and "S" outputs for interfacing to GJD's own Solitaire lighting controllers (you'd need a Dygizone keypad as well). The Solitaire will take care of the lighting side of it, it's a very good system and has built in chime etc. You can also output from the alarm into the GJD system to bring the lights on if the alarm is triggered. I would swing more towards the GJD D-Tect 2 PIR rather than the Elite, though. Just personal preference. It's a better sensor all-round.

Sponsored Links
GJD and elite sensor ....covers all bases , you can use a single or double zone controller to keep costs down depending on lighting areas or switching loads !

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 202
As it happens I am watching one on eBay now!

I will do a bit of research on his system.

It does say it's range is 8-30m, my drive is only 6m in length! I assume the sensor can be tilted downwards to make it more like 1-10m?

The gjd lighting kit looks good, but can be pricey. Are there cheaper alternatives?

I would reccommend a Steinel 180S to operate the lights

http://www.steinel.de/en/Sensors/Motion-Detectors/IS-180-2-Black.html

Then add a relay energised by the switched Live to provide a contact closure to the CCTV system

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/5111278/

in socket

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/relay-sockets/4009130/?origin=PSF_428009|acc

which can be mounted in an enclosure such as

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGGD102E.html

Other sources for relays, sockets and enclosures are available

It does say it's range is 8-30m, my drive is only 6m in length! I assume the sensor can be tilted downwards to make it more like 1-10m?

The gjd lighting kit looks good, but can be pricey. Are there cheaper alternatives?

Buy cheap .....buy twice ....

GJD would be classed as the alarm industry standard for switching external lights.

Go with what is proved, and yes detectors can be adjusted

GJD all the way. The entire kit is built to work without extra messing. I've used 6 PIRs connected to LED spotlights and cameras for many years on my home and outbuildings without a glitch. Lights can be set to come on separately or together, timed or on trigger. Cameras spin and zoom into the triggered area too. The Dygizone alerts indoors and you can override settings at the touch of a button if for example you'd like one or more lights to remain on while you're outside.

Buy cheap, buy twice, fits very well with the GJD equipment, the most reliable lighting controls around.

Bernard has just gone to his favorite catalogue, we've been recommending equipment used by professionals for years (and years)

You don't have to use their top of the range, it's all good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back