best 8ch dvr for around £500-£1000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm trying to sort out CCTV for the house.

(apologies if this as already been covered - I have read through some previous posts but don't think dvr in this price range has been covered.)

As the dvr is quite a significant cash outlay (for me) I want to get this right.
I've been doing a quite a bit of googling and research and so far the following 2 seem to be quite good:

Apollo HD Pro 8 £804 with 1TB and
Alien Ultra 8 £917 with 1TB

My budget was initially £500 but has slowly crept up!
They both seem to have good feature and have features that the other doesn't.

I would value your knowledge and experience, are these good models, are there any others I should consider?

The main features that I am after are:
record D1 @ 25 fps on each channel (25fps more nice to have but 12fps will do)
alert via mobile phone (I guess most do email with pics)
simultaneous record via network to NAS (idea is have hard-drive in secure location and can have dvr easy to access place so if dvr stolen still have evidence)
2-way audio/talkback (could use as intercom at door - ideally also via mobile phone)
smartphone monitoring
hdmi out preferable to tv
8 alarm in
8 audio in
be able to connect to multiple tv/monitors (idea is to have monitors located around the house - so as to quickly be able to take appropiate action)
when motion/alarm triggered - show camera that triggered alarm and if possible the area the motion got triggered (I've noticed on some cameras they have motion detection - do the cameras then highlight the area as opposed to the dvr?)
alarms/relays out - to trigger various things like gsm dialler to send text (backup to email prob quicker to alert via text), turn tv/monitor on.
and any other useful features I've not thought of/considered.
I've seen some have video loop throughs - are these a useful feature?

Many thanks, I appreciate your input.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back