Specific quesions on Nest Protect smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wrote a question on this forum couple of days ago regarding smoke alarms in general, I ask these specific questions here as it relates to Nest Protect ("NP"). I just spoke to Google with a guy a in the Philippines and I'm confused by some of his responses as they were a little blah blah blah marketing guff and I need 100% accuracy before I end up spending money on 10+ of these devices.

1. Can you interlink all Nest Protect smoke detectors so that when one goes off, they all go off and does anyone know or can confirm whether they are buildings regs compliant in the UK?

2. When one NP triggers:
a) Do the others chirp or just give a voice notification (which worries me if a soft sounding voice does not wake up the kids at 3am if there's a fire)
b) I presume you can silence all the detectors from just the one device in the bedroom by pressing the button manually (or via the app) and not each detector manually (sorry I know its a silly questions but I need to be sure given the number of detectors I have)

3. How do I get around the need for a Heat alarm in the kitchen which is an open plan area with the living room (has no gas burners) and utility room (which has gas burner hob)? Can I use a third party heat detector on the same interconnected cable and will all 3rd party detectors chip with the NP detectors?

4. Does anyone know for sure whether Amazon Alexa works with NP as I am getting conflicting information when I search. Google guy said to me it only works with Alexa devices which have a screen (Echo Show?) but not other Echo devices which sounds odd to me

5. If I add another smoke detector which is not a Nest Protect device to the interlinked network, will this create any issues i.e. will anything not work?

Sponsored Links
I haven’t read everything (I’m not a sparkie, nor Nest affiliated). Any reason you want Nest? Aico alarms interlink with each other and carbon monoxide alarms. Aico also do a combined heat and carbon monoxide alarm.

Last edited:
Also, there are no standards for alarm interconnect signalling. Every manufacturer has their own way so you need to choose one manufacturer that has the range of alarms that you need.
You cannot mix and match.

Sponsored Links
I wanted an alarm which can integrate into my smart home or alerts me via an app.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back