Speech Dialler/Alarm with Remote Talk to Site Function

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been trying for some time to track down a suitable bit of kit (that doesn't cost and arm and leg like "proper" IP outdoor speakers) to the following:

We have a remote storage facility (couple of brick built ex UK local gov buildings, built like the proverbial) which we've already put a 5 camera remote IP CCTV system with NVR and email notifications in. The site has PSTN and ADSL.

Next will be some facility so that, when something/someone suspicious is spotted on the CCTV, we can connect to the site and inform whoever it is (preferably via outdoor horn speaker) that we can see them and are being monitored/recorded. The facility to trigger an alarm of some sort/turn on floods would also be useful.

A basic facility IS available via the CCTV cameras (they all have audio function), however we'd prefer to have it as a dial-in facility from any phone rather than over the internet (no dependency of availability of phone apps).

Initially we looked at putting in a Honeywell Galaxay G2-44+ with the A235 2-way speech option - but Honeywell basically said this doesn't work/not allowed(!?!) in the UK. Scrubbed that idea. That was before we even got as far as asking about max wireless sensors on a single connecting an outdoor powered speaker.

Next we looked at possibly just a speech dialler with remote self-powered IP66 horn speaker, and hooking up a standard siren/strobe unit (i.e. "bellbox" such as Flashguard Xtra) connected to the outputs.

First we looked at the Texacom, but a guy at Texacom tech support (UK) basically said "If you want it just for that, I wouldn't, it's crap". It also has no facility to connect up an external speaker.

Currently looking at the Pyronix V2-TEL unit (not the GSM). It LOOKs like it can do it and Pyronix (grudgingly) confirmed it has "remote mic and speaker connections". They are even shown on page 30 of the installation manual - but not a WORD about them.

Anyone any real world experience of the V2-TEL, especially of making use of the facility of, when triggered, dialling into the unit and talking to the site (listening to the site is much less important).

If anyone has other possible options they could recommend we look at, would be very much appreciated!

George.

Sponsored Links
Hi George, not tried all of these but in general systems like this are not very good voice quality and the tech guys are probably being honest, the fact they told it has the features the way you describe it sounds to me like yes it can but the quality isn't brilliant.

I am guessing you want it to be a two way conversation, rather than pre recorded messages, the ip infra structure you already have its the expense you don't like, I would try and get some demos if possible to see if that sways you one way or the other.

You want ideally a public address system that's cheap with remote access?

Voice off but I haven't used?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Any system that is dial-in is always going to be subject the voice-quality limitations of the PSTN. So our expectations of quality are based upon that and certainly not "hifi", and I hope realistic. Also we 're not really looking to be able to have a two-way conversion with which ever "so and so" has caught our attention via the CCTV motion detection. We're thinking much more along the lines of:

"Oi! You two, this is site security! - Yes am I'm talking to you in the baseball cap with the bag and you're mate in the hoodie."

- type thing LOL. Then if they still persist, utilize the remote access outputs to trigger a standard "bell box" (siren/strobe e.g. Flashguard Xtra/Xtravert type thing), and possibly kick on some flood lights (obviously via some form of interface unit).

So, yes, essentially we are looking for something like a remote access PA system - but they tend to be £:eek: (this isn't a commercial/work project so cost is important). Proper IP based speakers, such as the Axis C3003-E (see video link) also tend to be £:eek:. They also have the additional cost/complexity of having to set up some sort of VOIP infrastructure to be able to dial into it from a standard phone - smart phone apps often aren't that great at the budget end.

In addition, while we do have ADSL on site, it's limited to standard ADSL, although it does a reasonably passable job of HD CCTV. Little possibility of upgrading to fibre, as the phone lines (only one working, but the original 26-odd pairs are still there) are all of the "EO" type (Exchange Only as BT call them). Something to do with the buildings' original civil defense function when they were built back in the '60s, and going via road side cabinets was unacceptable for security reasons.

It is a tricky one, especially as we really are trying to do it as cheaply as possible (DIY secure storage!), but an interesting challenge! :sneaky:;)

George

Sponsored Links
For this final bit, probably around £300 tops, including external speaker.

Nope the NVR has no audio out (to the site) facility at all, only the individual cameras when monitored directly. As I said though, we really don't want to do it via the CCTV, partially because of the ADSL bandwidth restrictions, but also we just find dialing in to something a lot more reliable than smart phone apps for this (even though the call might be FROM a smart phone).

might want to try the security installer website for guidance as to options as, I am not sure where your able to go on this with your criteria at present.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll see what I can see on there before possibly posting.(y)

Yep, it is rather a "specific" set of requirements - but then they're not my buildings (belong to a friend), so not my money to spend. I always get the techie jobs to do for him! LOL!

He may just have to buy one of the Pyronix V2-TEL units for me to play with and see what the are like - suck it and see so to speak. It might just do the job at ~£80 or so (plus ~£120 for a self-powered outdoor horn speaker).

This doesn't help you, but your post reminded me of this...

Warning contains swearing.

As to your predicament...
What about a cheap smartphone plugged into a charger, connected to WiFi and the headphone socket connected to speakers sufficiently sized for what you want. Install the zello app, set up your own private channel and use that as your web connected pa system.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That is :censored: (flipping!) brilliant!

Very interesting suggestion about Zello! Also would make a good use for the redundant (soon to be three redundant) Windows Phone I have, as Zello supports that! The only slight downside (apart from it being an additional on-going cost) is that mobile reception at the site is far from great - probably due to the fact that right next door is the local cell transmitter for most of the UK networks.

Yes I admit it, I bought a Windows phone!:(

In my defence it was much more for doing stuff with Office 365/Exchange Online at work than running typical smartphone apps.:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back