Speech to UN by Germany's Foreign Minister on Russian Invasion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Annalena Baerbock made an excellent speech to UN recently criticising Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

One of the more memorable comments for me, is something that I've said many times before:
"If you are neutral in a situation of oppression, then you have chosen the side of the Oppressor"
She mentioned Desmond Tutu as the originator of that thought. (approx 7 minutes in)

For the video:
https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-german-foreign-minister-says-russias-war-is-a-turning-point/a-60977146

for the transcript:
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/newsroom/news/-/2514706

The comment about neutrality being exploited applies in all cases of oppression!

Sponsored Links
upload_2022-3-6_9-37-12.png

Sorry Bodd, I'm unable to reply to your question in that thread. I've been banned from yet another thread. :rolleyes:
upload_2022-3-6_9-38-39.png

But it doesn't take a genius to work out a logical response to your question.
In many countries children are born without documentation, and they live most of their lives without documentation. I know of many refugees who have birthdays chosen for them by immigration authorities because in many countries there is no such thing as a birth certificate. Sometimes refugees are not certain of their precise DOB. They just know the year in which they were born.
In most countries you have to apply for a passport. It isn't an automatic right. In some countries a visit to a government office is required, in other countries a visa allowing you access to another country is required before an application for a passport is considered.
In times of fleeing war or persecution, you grab what you can or what is left of your personal belongings, when you flee.

Another obvious reason is for those fleeing persecution, to prevent them being returned to the origin of that persecution.

I'm beginning to think the Mods are more vindictive than Mottie. :ROFLMAO:

Annalena Baerbock made an excellent speech to UN recently criticising Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

One of the more memorable comments for me, is something that I've said many times before:
"If you are neutral in a situation of oppression, then you have chosen the side of the Oppressor"

On the whole its a fact EG China, India, Pakistan, putting their interests first EG, India fighting off attacks from china and pakistand get most of her jet fighters etc from Russia. Pakistan and china are just ****-stirring

However, at times smaller nations have to be neutral as they know they will get hurt and no one will really help them when attacked other than empty words of comfort.

Sponsored Links
Back