Spindle Leak - No Gland Nut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking some help, slightly tapped the radiator valve and a leak has appeared out of the top where the spindle is. Quick google and most suggestions are to tighten the gland nut. I've taken the spindle cap off, undone screw underneath but there's no gland nut (pic attached). What do I do here?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20221021_194521.jpg
    20221021_194521.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Needs stripping and new O ring seals fitting. Or just fit a replacement valve.

Only had the valves less than 12 months, what's involved in stripping?

You would need to firstly relieve pressure in the system ,or preferably drain down ,and take the valve to pieces . A side view of the valve would be useful , in order to give clearer advice,but the hexagonal shape is likely to be where the valve body splits from the headworks.

Sponsored Links
Here's the side view, initially it looked all one piece but looks maybe like the top chrome piece could come off with a spanner, would there be a gland nut under there?

Attachments

• 20221021_213530.jpg
    20221021_213530.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 94
The small hexagonal nut ,which appears to have been removed in your first pic, can be used together with PTFE tape wrapped tightly around the spindle ,to stop the leak

Thanks, assuming thats a good temporary fix, but also assuming water shouldn't really be in that part of the valve? Am I also right about the nut a bit further down, should this valve have a gland nut?

The small hexagonal nut on a " conventional" tap ( which your radiator valve appears to be designed to look like) would be the gland nut. But it doesn't appear to have a gland on yours ,so the nut is just decorative. However wrapping PTFE as suggested would prevent water getting up past the spindle. You are correct water shouldn't get there.
I believe the larger hexagonal shape would unscrew from the base ,and allow the spindle to be removed from below , together with it's O rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back