Packing the spindle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking lockshield spindle,(The water comes out of the top when fully closed or open)I have tried tightening the gland nut but still it leaks.
I have heard you can PTFE the spindle, How is this done?
I assume I would need to remove the nut but when I do this water starts to spray from the valve, What steps do I need to take to avoid having to drain down the system fully, i.e Do I Close the valve the other side of the rad?

and where exactly does the PTFE tape go, on the threads for the gland nut or actually on the spindle that protrudes from the top of the Lockshield.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Nah Scat 'tis easy.

Undo the gland nut, lift a little. Get an inch or two of PTFE. Twiddle both ends to make a string. Wrap around spindle clockwise. Push gland nut back down and tighten 'till firm.

The problem is that many of the glands are not the traditional packed glands but instead use an "O" ring to do the sealing.

After a while they stop sealing and the whole valve has to be changed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ok guys I am going to change the valve, straight swap for a new lockshield.
What options do I have, Don't really want to drain the system just to change the valve as topped up with inhibitor only 3 months ago.

Any suggestions, there is a drain valve on the radiator and I have also been told about the freeze spray kit around £10, are they any good? Says they last up to 40mins.
Could I freeze the pipe remove the valve and cap the end as I think I will take longer than 30mins to do the job right.

jonnybegood said:
Ok guys I am going to change the valve, straight swap for a new lockshield.
What options do I have, Don't really want to drain the system just to change the valve as topped up with inhibitor only 3 months ago.

Any suggestions, there is a drain valve on the radiator and I have also been told about the freeze spray kit around £10, are they any good? Says they last up to 40mins.
Could I freeze the pipe remove the valve and cap the end as I think I will take longer than 30mins to do the job right.

Make sure the system water in the pipe is fully cold. Freeze it then just concentrate on replacing the valve body onto the pipe. 2min job.

You then have unlimited time left to fit the new tail etc

Sealing with ptfe is not very sucessful, you need something that the gland nut can compress against the spindle. the best thing to use is packing gland material, but you won't find it in the diy stores.
I found some at preston marina, £2 gets you about 10 ins, it's graphite inpregnated, it's square in section about 3 or 3.5 mm.
There are two ways of applying. You can just wrap around spindle 4 or 5 turns, or you can stack 4 or 5 rings on top of each other, but jionts need to opposite sides.
If you close both valves on radiator, the valve should not leak while you do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back