Pump Isolation Valve question (Solved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While checking if the isolation valves for the central heating pump would close, one of them started leaking from the stuffing box.

By choosing a slightly different open position the drip has almost stopped but I wondered if it were straightforward sealing the spindle.

1. Is the spindle still held in, and reasonably leakproof with the gland nut removed?
2. Does the valve need to be fully open or fully closed before moving the gland nut?
3. Does it have a rubber "O" ring seal?
4. Is it possible to slacken the nut off far enough to apply PTFE tape to the spindle?

Thank you for your help
Ray

Attachments

• Pump Valve.jpg
    Pump Valve.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Thank you very much Jack, I think I tried tightening the gland nut last night but I’ll double check tomorrow.

Knowing a Peglars old type brass radiator valve needs to be fully open before removing the gland nut - otherwise the spindle will come out - I wondered if these were the same.

Ray

Job done, thank you again for your help.

For DIYers benefit ... if you're wary about taking the gland nut out with the system full of water you can use a G clamp as shown in the picture.

Fold a short length of PTFE tape in two then twist it into a cord, only wind it loosely, clockwise around the spindle.

Ray

Attachments

• Pump1.jpg
    Pump1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 47
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pump3.jpg
    Pump3.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I appreciate your doubt and the method you used to ensure the spindle wouldn't 'eject' but I can assure you the spindle is secured into a retaining notch in the valve gate since it has to both "pull' and "push" the gate

Thank you for that Jack, I expected you would be right ... my caution comes from once having a house full of Peglars rad valves that needed to be fully open when the gland nut was removed.
Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back