Spirit level calibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just want to buy a spirit level for small job positioning like shelves, socket outlets, wall lights etc. I am confused in descriptions for such tools by the comment "easy to calibrate". How the heck would you calibrate the horizontal setting and how can you be sure the calibration of a new level is true??? Which one should i buy?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
when you have what you think is a flat surface, you turn the level round and check it the other way.

if the surface is level, and the level is true, it will be the same both ways.

but if e.g. the level has end 1 and end 2, and the bubble is wrongly set to roll to end 2,then when you turn the level round on a level surface, the bubble will roll the other way.

...thanks John, I think i understand. ....

so, when you first measure a straight line on a wall say, the glass tube is this way up... n .... the bubble is in the centre at the top (this bit is obvious). What you are saying is that when you turn it over , and put the level up to the same line, the bubble should go to a pre-determined end?

Now, how would you know which end, and is this advice presenting the correct way to check a horizontal surface, or is it discribing the correct method to calibrate? Sorry if the question sounds basic.

Alex

turn it round (left to right) not turn it over.

If both surface and level are true, the bubble will be in the middle both ways round.

If surface is true and level is wrong, bubble will be equal amount out each way round, and to the same end of the level, but the opposite end of the surface.

If level is true and surface is wrong, bubble will be equal amount out each way round, and to the same end of the surface, but the opposite end of the level. this is the condition ypu want to have, and you check it by turning the level round before you hammer the thing you are working on.

Sponsored Links
to check it's set up properly, you could float a piece of plywood, polystyrene, foam? on some water and put your spirit level on that?

I think spirit levels can be 'calibrated' for if they're knocked. Some also can be altered to check for 45deg from level.

Level calibration is nineteenth century concept for rosewood levels, glass vials with screws, and men with flat caps working in a shirt and tie on site.

A modern level has a preset vial with no calibration required or possible. And is actually better than one of the old ones as it is more shock proof and less likely to be knocked out of true if dropped etc

You can check it by turning the level around and seeing if the bubble is in the same place between the lines.

Even the ones from Lidl and Aldi for £5 are OK, but if you spend £10 on a Stabila, then it will last you a lifetime

Cant remember the last time i saw someone with a level that could be calibrated :LOL:

As john says, easy way to test it.... draw line, turn round (not over) and it should match.

Nearly all are fixed nowadays, some of the good quality ones even offer guarantees.

Invest in a good one and look after it.

...ok, thanks for the responses. Believe it or not, the question was as a result of looking for a good quality level, and finding that even some of the expensive ones have adjustable vials for easy calibration! As mentioned above, all i need to do is turn the level around to see if the bubble is in the same place. Should have been obvious. Thanks all.

to check it's set up properly, you could float a piece of plywood, polystyrene, foam? on some water and put your spirit level on that?

I think spirit levels can be 'calibrated' for if they're knocked. Some also can be altered to check for 45deg from level.

Sorry if I sound like I'm taking the pee here, but this will never work properly because you would need to balance the level and one end of the wood or whatever you are floating could be more boyant than the other.
I will remember this one for my apprentice on April 1st. :LOL: :LOL:

Tony

Cant remember the last time i saw someone with a level that could be calibrated :LOL:

As john says, easy way to test it.... draw line, turn round (not over) and it should match.

Nearly all are fixed nowadays, some of the good quality ones even offer guarantees.

Invest in a good one and look after it.

Most high quality engineers spirit levels are adjustable, I just Googled "engineers spirit level" and found several hits.

Wotan

Stanley Fatmax levels have a 10 year accuracy guarantee to 0.5mm/metre in eight planes. They're also pretty drop-proof, bend-proof and generally very solid

Spirit levels obtained from "poundland" are not calibrated & are often wrong.

Once I put up some shelves that I swore blindly were level because my spirit level said so. Er indoors couldn't stop laughing & never lets me forget how I had a crappy level :D

I remember buying the bubble & making spirit levels using aluminium I section.
We made some about 4ft long.

I still sell bubbles. I harvest them from my goldfish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back