Spuring off Central Heating controller unit supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to put a 13amp fused switch on the wall to run a wall mounted LED tv. The only nearby power that I can tap into is the power supplied to the central heating on/off timer switch which is on the socket circuit and this circuit is protected by a consumer unit and separate to the other circuits such as lights showers hobs etc. Ie when I switch the power off for the sockets at the consumer unit all the other electrics continue to work.

Is this ok to do? cheers

Sponsored Links
What type of central heating do you have?
If it's socket circuit it could be possible, what type of socket circuit is it?

Its a Honeywell ST699 24hr Programmer.
Im not sure what type of socket circuit it is? But having checked out the wiring behind the timer, it has two cables running to the socket, 2.5mm twin core and earth black and red which is the same cable as in all the other sockets so this will be carrying the power, then the other cable leaving the programmer is 2.5mm twin core and earth brown and blue, which I presume goes off to the boiler and pump for central heating, which is a vented system with header tank in loft.

The house was built 1990 and the same heating system without alterations is in situ.

The central heating system should be protected and controlled by a switched fused connector fitted with a 3A fuse.

Is this what you propose to connect the tv cable to or the actual programmer.

Sponsored Links
I get the feeling he's planning to connect it to the circuit supplying the programmer.

Which, as an aside, is not on an FCU.

I dont know whether you have any test equipment or are competant to use it safely or not. Lets us assume it is a ring final circuit and the boiler supply is on that ring and not a spur in it self, you can spur off the supply side of the central heating spur to a socket outlet for your Led TV. If it is a radial you can spur off it anyway. If it is a broken ring or if the central heating connections is a spur off the existing ring then you will need to add a fused spur in the circuit somewhere between the central heating supply side and the new socket outlet. If you are unsure, just add the fused spur. But any work will need to be tested and inspected to ensure correct ELFI, insulation resistance, terminations, cable installation and rcd protection amongst other items

Yes I am hoping to connect to the circuit that supplies the programmer. The boiler is in the garage and this looks like it is on a fused switched spur with a 3amp fuse in it, with power coming from the double socket next to it.

Hence when I switch off the sockets on the consumer unit the programmer stops working.

When I switch the 3amp fused switch off it stops the boiler and the programmer has no power, but the sockets supplying the power to the 3amp switch still work.

If I use a 13amp fused switch to supply the TV and run power from the circuit supplying the programmer will I have to increase the 3amp fuse that supplies the programmer or reduce the 13 amp fuse that supplies the TV?

cheers

Actually the TV only uses a 3amp plug so presumably I should only use a 3amp fused switch instead of the 13amp one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back