Squashing loft insulation - what would you do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Search function has answered most of my queries but just wanted to run a quick question for loft insulation experts out there!

Looking to top up insulation (existing is 100mm to joists - will be topping up with 170mm) & board out part of loft. For the boarded area, I did not want to go much bigger than 100 x 50 for the cross beams (due to cost & weight) so my question is:

Would you:

A) Still use the 170mm insulation in the area to be boarded and squash down with loft boards to the 100mm level; or

B) Use 100mm insulation top up in the boarded area.

I know squashing the insulation reduces its efficiency but just want to check that it would be no worse than using 100mm. (I can get the 170mm stuff for free!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
squashing it to 100mm makes it less effective. Because you are squashing the air spaces it is actually less effective than 100mm insulation that is not squashed

as you are pressing it down onto the ceiling it is liable to make your ceiling crack or bulge

Sometimes you can pull insulation apart and tear a layer off to make it less thick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back