Squeaking floorboard solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a section of bedroom floor where the boards are squeaking.

I've pulled the carpet up, and brushed in a weak pva mix into the cracks but it hasn't made a difference.

I've also screwed down some boards in the general area where i think the creak is coming from.

The floor also creaks when someone is in the adjoining ensuite, but the floor boards run parallel to the ensuite, so dont run from the bedroom, under the partition and into the ensuite.

The boards are T&G so I'm wondering if this is causing the creaking noise to 'travel'. Would cutting though the tongue, thereby removing the physical connection between each board to the next, solve the issue? Is that a tried and tested alternative to talc, glue, screwing every board?

Sponsored Links
Yes cutting the tongue with a multi tool does work, but it does introduce bounce in the board.

You could also put a thin strip of rubber or felt ontop of the joist under the floor boards, sometimes this helps.

I've also head talcum powder on the tongue can help, but I've not done this.

I did manage to get my house squeek free for a 2 years, but the constant jumping from mys boy seems to have introduced a squeek back on the landing :mad:

Does the wall run parallel to the floor boards? Are these traditional wooden floor boards? What age is the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back