creaking landing driving me nuts!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I own a chalet bungalow (whatever that is) style house and the landing creaks as much as I've ever heard a floor creak, really bad. I have pulled up some of the flooring (chip/hard board) and found that because of a new staircase put in before I moved in, the landing ended up below the original level. To compensate for this the previous owner has tacked thin strips of wood between the joists and the floorboards, I believe resulting in said creaking. My plan is to replace, wood glue and screw the new strips down, then screw down the flooring with bigger screws to go deeper into the joists.

I suppose my question is, without spending the earth, is this going to work and if not what is the best suggested method to secure the floor and stop the creaking. I'm thinking better/stronger glue, new boards (what type?) anything that will improve the chances of not hearing the creaking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob

Sponsored Links
I suppose my question is, without spending the earth, is this going to work and if not what is the best suggested method to secure the floor and stop the creaking. I'm thinking better/stronger glue, new boards (what type?) anything that will improve the chances of not hearing the creaking.
Lost of beefy screws, Plywood, the thicker the better and more screws than you've had hot dinners, you can't really do any more, should reduce your creaking somewhat, wouldn't like to say it will stop it altogether.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back