FAO 'Graeme' - Creaking floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Graeme,

After looking through previous posts (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=149706#149706), I noticed that you had/have a similar problem to me...

You will find all of your floorboards are not built around the walls & room layout, hense making it impossible to replace the floorboards.

Our 1996 Barrett house (and our neighbours) has also had the most awful creaking noise upstairs, only in two rooms. After years of putting up with it I also lifted the carpets and screwed hundreds of screws into the boards and glued inbetween all the boards BUT it still creaks :evil: It fixed a little bit but I have determined that the creaking is not from the floorboards at all.

The plasterboard wall between bedroom 1 & 3 has nails which hold this to the boards, it it these nails that causes the creaking that sends shivers down our spine. I have been meaning to remove the skirting on one side and attempt to remove/cut these nails.

...I was wondering if you have managed to cure the dreaded creaking &, if so, how did you go about doing it?

PS. I have screwed the floorboards to the joists around the area in question, on both sides of the plasterboard wall, but the creaks remain!

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If anyone else has had this problem, or could offer some advice on the best way to approach resolving it, that would be great.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back