squirrell problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a problem with squirrells entering a short area of roof under the eaves.
The eaves were covered by plastic solid closers (half circle plastic barier about three inches high fitted under the tiles)
Some of these are broken.
I am thinking of just jamming squashed mesh wire into these holes to prevent the squirrells or birds entering the loft.
Is this going to be ok?, as I cannot find the plastic end closers.
The mesh will still allow ventilation and that part of the roof is not over exposed to weather, it's in a valley between two parts of the building.
Cheers..

Sponsored Links
Sounds like missing reform eaves fillers

We worked on an old farmhouse recently where birds were taking the insulation from a gap at the and we used some chicken wire which worked a treat so yeah it should work, just be careful not to puncture the felt as you push it in, another option might be to put a squirt of expanding foam in there (unless of course the birdies peck at it too much)

open it up a little more & put a cage on the inside to trap the squirrels, then fire up the oven & get some pastry out, MMMmmm "squirrel pie" :D

Thanks SRE,
I think I'll go with the mesh as the expanding foam may restrict air flow and I guess the squirrels would soon learn to chew throught it.

Matty,
I tried scoffing one and it tastes a bit like duck.
This might interest ya,

SQUIRREL PASTIES

140g squirrel meat cut into 1cm cubes;

100g sliced potato; 100g sliced swede; 50g diced onion; 30g smoked bacon;

15g chopped hazelnuts; 75g butter;

5g chopped parsley; a good pinch of salt and pepper .

METHOD

· Egg wash edges of pastry circles.

· Place the potato, swede, hazelnuts, parsley and seasoning on to each circle followed by the bacon, squirrel meat and, finally, the onion.

· Place butter in each pasty, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges.

· Put the pasties on to a greaseproof baking tray, egg wash both pasties well, place in a pre-heated oven at 180C or gas mark 5.

· Bake for 45-50 minutes. The juices should start to boil and the pasties should be able to move on the tray with ease.
:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with squirrels trying to enter a small hole in my back door. I know you can buy lion faeces from zoos and wildlife parks to deter animals in your garden but I went for the cheaper option and used some of my own. hey presto - no squirrels anymore, they don't like teh smell of me!. You could try and spread some around your problem area.

Discretion with the neighbours is best though - better to do the business indoors and then take outside rather than producing at the scene so to speak.

We also have a squirrel issue as they have eaten through the eaves bird comb and invaded the roof space during the harsh winter. Before we set about hand moulding 100 chicken wire balls, I remember that eaves fillers used to be mortar dabs (obviously no longer practical) or plastic/aluminum inserts. We cannot source any solid fillers, does anyone know any manufacturers or have any ideas, or shall we start the chicken wire? Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back