stabiliser on old pebbledash or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I'm preparing to paint the pebbledash on the house and was wondering whether I need to use a stabliser first, or not? The house (brick on the bottom half, white painted pebble dash on top half) had been painted before, but it had all blistered and began flaking off. I've given it a good brush and removed a lot of the old paint, but not all. Looking at the areas where there is now no paint, they are light greyish and when I run my finger along them, some white powder comes off. Do I need to do use a stabiliser before I paint? It's really only one side of the house (side most exposed to winds and direct sun) that the paint has peeled off. The other sides just need a new top coat. I plan to use dulux weathershield smooth, as I was given 2 cans by someone who had bought too much and lost their receipt.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stuck on what to do. I know stabilising is a tricky subject - do, don't, waste of time, thin first coat instead. Really confusing :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the pebbles in the pebble dash are actually pebbles then no..dont stabilise because you shouldnt use it on non absorbant surfaces

Given the drap weather we are having id be more inclined to give the wall a thinned coat of pliolite masonry paint first then go over with neat stuff...pliolite is self sealing and to quote the technical data on the tin...

''Sticks like shet to a blanket''

Sponsored Links
thanks for the response zampa

I think it's pebbledash - can't see any stones as such, as they are covered with a greyish plaster. After I brushed off the old flaking paint, I noticed that I could rub off some powder with my finger - I thought that was the sign that it needed a stabiliser.
I saw the pliolite stuff - think it's called "weathershield all seasons", but as that that was oil based I was worried that I might be sealing moisture into the wall. I always thought paint should be water based and microporous, to prevent this. :confused:

Did you mean give a first coat of thinned pliolite and then put the regular weathershield over it?
Also, we are having dry, but overcast weather in the midlands. Apparently the next 5 days are going to be dry.

hello again.
just found this on another website - what do you think...
only stabilise if the surface is sandy or gritty , if it isn't i suggest giving it a thinned coat of dulux weathershield masonry paint , then a couple of normal coats , add a little bit of water to this as well as it tends to dry cracked if it's too thick

Did you mean give a first coat of thinned pliolite and then put the regular weathershield over it?
Also, we are having dry, but overcast weather in the midlands. Apparently the next 5 days are going to be dry.

Nope..id stick to the same sysyem..thinned all seasons then regualr..or any pliolite

Having said that im 80% sure that pliolite then traditional water based would work...but you might have to leave it a few days between coats for the oil based stuff to cure a bit and settle down.

The water based stuff will stick to stones too...but not quite as well

just a question about the patches where I removed old flaking paint. Around the bits of paint that did not come off are some rough edges and tiny gaps becuase of the irregular surface. Will these be ok to paint? Will the paint get into them and keep them together. Everytime I brush will a stiff broom, a few more little flecks come off, but I could be doing that forever! There must be a point when it is worth stopping. I don't fancy having to remove every bit of the old paint.

I'll probably need a few cans of all seasons to get the bad side of the house done. The other sides just need a new coat of weathershield. Just seen the price of all seasons (£33 for 5l) and its the same price as 10l of weathershield. Better start saving!

The paint will help bind the surface..especially as you need to thin the first one anyway.

I wouldnt bother with paying 33 quid..check out crown and jonstones for their prices for pliolite based masonry paints

zampa - bet you used your "how much" phrase at the sight of £33 for 5l. I will need a lot of paint - which is why I was thinking about the regular weathershield smooth - but mixing water with the first coat. It would certainly be cheaper, and I'd get a few more coats out of it!

Unfortunately, I only have the regular DIY sheds to get paint from where i am. Choice is rather limited. Having said that, there is an Dulux decorator centre near me, though I reckon they will cost more than B&Q.

back to the prep - will the stiff broom be sufficient? I am hoping any rough edges of old paint will be bonded together, but as you recommeded - the all seasons willl probably bond them together better than regular weathershield.

i did give it a good pressure wash, but after it dried out some parts were still a bit flakey. When I look closely I can see some broken edges that won't come off when brushed with a stiff broom, but will if I scratch them with hand. It's a huge area to get every last bit of paint of from, and I am on a water meter!

zampa - bet you used your "how much" phrase at the sight of £33 for 5l. I will need a lot of paint - which is why I was thinking about the regular weathershield smooth - but mixing water with the first coat. It would certainly be cheaper, and I'd get a few more coats out of it!

Unfortunately, I only have the regular DIY sheds to get paint from where i am. Choice is rather limited. Having said that, there is an Dulux decorator centre near me, though I reckon they will cost more than B&Q.

back to the prep - will the stiff broom be sufficient? I am hoping any rough edges of old paint will be bonded together, but as you recommeded - the all seasons willl probably bond them together better than regular weathershield.

Check the yellow pages..you should have a Jonstones or Leylans up there somewhere..

Be careful with the thinning..decorators, contary to popular belief dont thin paint to make it go further..its either to allow it to absrob into a surface better or iad the flow..if you thin it too much youll end up having to give the whole lot a third coat..which will end up costing you more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back