Stained Fireplace Hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

We are lady in a pickle! I put a flower arrangement on my fireplace (it was flowers in a pumpkin) - and when i picked it up it had turned mouldy on the bottom and stained a light grey circle on my hearth. We tried water and then limelight active gel on it and it began to go. So we got a bit overzealous with it and now we have huge light grey wipe marks!! We've tried vinegar, bicarb of soda but still no real result.

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions to try? It would help if we knew what it was actually made of but we don't know :S
(It's a victorian fireplace)

Many thanks in advance!

Penny[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hello!

We are lady in a pickle! I put a flower arrangement on my fireplace (it was flowers in a pumpkin) - and when i picked it up it had turned mouldy on the bottom and stained a light grey circle on my hearth. We tried water and then limelight active gel on it and it began to go. So we got a bit overzealous with it and now we have huge light grey wipe marks!! We've tried vinegar, bicarb of soda but still no real result.

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions to try? It would help if we knew what it was actually made of but we don't know :S
(It's a victorian fireplace)

Many thanks in advance!

Penny[/img]

you havent actually said what the hearth is made of??
limestone? white marble thats not finished?
I worked for 8 years with fireplaces and stone so I may be able to offer some help..

Hey! Thanks for replying. We THINK its slate or stone...ive added a picture to flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonnieblackbird/6700251651/in/photostream

I wish I could be more acurate but I have no idea - hopefully you can tell by the pic..

We've spent the last couple of nights scrubbing (gently) with a teatowel and bicarb of soda, and it seems to have slightly faded a tiny bit - which is a relief as it hopefully means its not bleached it (you can see the black below it in patches now)...

Is there something we could cover it with (polish of sorts) if we cant figure out how to get rid of the stains?

Really appreciate your feedback!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the so unhelpful comment...its an iphone camera. You can see the picture can you not.

I can indeed , does nothing to clarify you hearth construction, looks more like an expressionist painting.

Hi! We're having a similar issue following a post Halloween pumpkin disaster! Our fireplace looks to be the same material as yours, did you have any luck with getting rid of the staining? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi! We're having a similar issue following a post Halloween pumpkin disaster! Our fireplace looks to be the same material as yours, did you have any luck with getting rid of the staining? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Stumbelina, We used linseed oil in the end, it wasn't perfect, but loads better...

We put it on and left it for 24hrs and then wiped it off. Be careful not to scratch it when you're wiping which we did initially. Good luck!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back