Resizing and/or lowering hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - wondering if i could get any advice on if what I'm trying to do is possible.

We have a working fireplace with a marble surround and wood mantel. Currently the marble hearth sits a few inches above the floorboard level, on exposed concrete (I believe a combination of original victorian subhearth, and some crappy concrete poured on top). I want to remove the marble hearth, replacing it with a much smaller hearth that sits as close to flush with the floorboard as allowed (2cm). I'd then replace the surround with a cast iron fireplace. I was going to then drop in reclaimed floor boards to butt up against the new hearth (removing the sort of 'moat' of concrete that is there now).

Is this going to be possible? The 'constructional' hearth seems to have layers of concrete added to it over the years.. I can sorta see at least 3 types of concrete. The postcrete type stuff on top literally crumbles out so it's definitely not doing much. Would i be able to chip away at the concrete until it matches the height of the bottom of the floorboards?

thank you!

dim.jpeg
IMG_1081.jpeg
fireplace plan.png
IMG_0548.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back