Staining or dyeing beech

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to refurbish some old fireside chairs which are made of beech, and I want to re-colour them darker, sort of afromosia or teak sort of colour.

From what I have read it appears that it is very difficult to stain or dye this wood. So before I set about trying various products I thought I would ask whether anyone has had success doing this, or whether any particular product does the job well.

Any thoughts, experience, guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John B.

Sponsored Links
You can stain the timber, but the problem is that the ray fleck is not porous and won't take stains. If you don't have any visible ray fleck, then just use a stain. If there is ray fleck visible you may need to resort to using a tinted lacquer/varnish and building the coats to the correct colour instead

Scrit

Hi Scrit,
Thanks for that.

I didn't realise that the problem was with the fleck. These chairs do have quite a pronounced fleck, and will probably look somewhat sad if the fleck retains its own colour amongst the stained wood!!

To tell the truth I was hoping for a natural-ish looking finish rather than varnish, but I shall consider your advice.

Thanks again,
John B.

Sponsored Links
You could always try a small area under the chair to see what you think.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back