Stair fitting/removal / Newel bases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not getting anywhere in floors and stairs (must be too major for them) so will see if there is a more knowledgeable audience here.

We (She) would like to change hte ballusters, the requirement is for Oak or beech and intending to Use Burridge parts (Fusion) but the existing Newels are white pained pine and too short (but I could cheat by using longer newels.

Photos of stairs are Stairs are
and

The top newels (at least one) sit on an engineered joist which itself sits on a block wall, I can get a screwdriver under bottom of the netwel. First one is on its side.

Now how difficult will it be to change the newels? Presumably lift out stairs, change newels, refit stairs????

What do I need to look out for?

Sponsored Links
Budget - current intention is to do it myself so the cost of parts (4 newel bases as Burbidge require an intermediate over that span for Fusion).

Overall expecting around £1k for all bits inlcuding acylic panels and oak rails.
She does not want to spoi the look with white newel bases.

Now how difficult will it be to change the newels? Presumably lift out stairs, change newels, refit stairs????

What do I need to look out for?

'Budget' doesn't necessarily spring to mind when you're talking about Richard Burbidge and Fusion :LOL:

You may get away leaving the stairs in situ and swapping the newels / base rail / spindles / hand rail. I have done it with the standard Burbidge range but not the Fusion stuff.

Sponsored Links
Budget to me means what I am prepared to spend to do it.

Newels I can deal with BUT the newel bases are pine and too short and can't see how I can change them without lifting the stairs out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back