Staircase banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Our staircase banister is loose upstairs. On our upstairs landing we have a banister which goes around the staircase. The point where one of the handrails meets the upright post is loose. I guess the handrails are screwed to the post, as on the outside of the upright post there looks to be some sort of plug to cover the screw. I'm guessing this 'plug' will be glued in so there is no chance of getting to the existing screw.

I was thinking of putting a couple more screws into the handrail at a 45 degree angle so they will grip into the post. Is this the best method of repair?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the handrail is just a bit wobbly but not in danger of falling out, you could try squeezing some adhesive into the gaps. This, together with the screw, should help stabilize the handrail.

If the handrail is in danger of falling off (consider the weight of some one relying on it to break their fall) then drilling out the wood plug and reattaching the handrail with new, longer screws + additional fixings away from the old screwsite would be best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back