Steaming noise from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can help advise me about my Potterton Suprima on an open vented system that is making a steaming noise whilst it is running. The noise originates in the boiler but can be heard through most of the other radiators in the system.

The boiler used to run quietly until earlier this year when I had some work done to rectify a problem with hot water being pumped over into the expansion tank (chemical cleaner, power flush and replacing the section of pipe where the cold feed joined in). The system no longer pumps over.

Following the work, it took quite a while for all the air/gas in the system to be bled out, but there is no longer any air or gas collecting in any of the radiators.

The steaming noise started soon after the work was done, but it is only since having the heating on this autumn that it has become quite loud.

A couple of weeks ago I injected some Fernox F2 Silencer into a radiator and this temporarily reduced the level of noise. However, now the boiler seems to be just as loud as it was before adding the Silencer.

I've drained a little water out of the system and it is yellow / light brown in colour:

I've added some nails an a 1p coin to see if any corrosion occurs (none so far after 10 hours).

The instructions for the Fernox F2 say multiple treatments might be required. Is adding some more likely to help long term, or do the symptoms suggest an alternative course of action?

Thanks,

Phil

Sponsored Links
The noise can be caused by 2 different things.
The longterm neglect can have rusted the heatexchanger away unevenly, and the water starts boiling in places where the hex is thin.
The other option is uneven heating due to limescale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back