Steel bath vs plastic bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be changing the bath (cast iron, beyond economic repair) and have selected one of either baths. Both plain standard white baths, 1700 x 700mm.

Plastic cast bath with extra layer of spray coating on the underside, which supposedly makes the bath more rigid.
Is this Sales talk or are they better for this extra layer!

3.5mm Steel bath. Feels solid enough, but wondered if I could perhaps stick some battens on underneath to deaden the 'tinny' sound.

Given the choice I am not sure which to go for. Has anyone got any recommendations. Neither bath are horrendously priced, £247 plastic, £305 steel. I still am of the thinking that a plastic bath sounds 'hollow' when filling or has technology moved on.

Sponsored Links
I don't like steel baths for a number or reasons.
Cold above water level.
Slippery.
Damaged enamel almost impossible to repair properly.

Just now installing a quality plastic bath which looks very nice, just as rigid as a steel bath (estimated 12 mm thick), and doesn't have the downsides of a steel bath.

Thanks both for your input. I am useless when it comes to choice. One minute I've convinced myself plastic then next day steel :rolleyes:

When they state 3.5mm for a steel bath is that reasonable or do they come in standard thicknesses.

Wish I could put the whole thing off, cos I'm not looking forward to hitting the cast with a lump hammer, end up looking like The Hunch Back of Notre Dame.

Sponsored Links
your price is not too cheap so it might not be a problem, but i have found some plastic baths discolour quite quickly so i would fit steel and make sure it is rigidly fitted to stop any movement, it is years since i broke out a cast bath, but it is quite simple with a 2lb mash hammer, imagine a cross right along the length and up the 2 sides, start right in the middle and smash away until you break through the cast, then follow your line along the middle to split the bath in 2, then go up the sides and break into 4, a couple of points, wear safety shoes, gloves, goggles and ear plugs, and watch for the bath falling over as you break it and be very careful carrying it out, 1/4 bath is quite easy to manage

To conclude my thread, I installed a steel bath in the end and I purchased a roll of 200mm insulation space blanket (plastic/foil wrapped). wrapped it all around and underneath bath, then put on beaded t&g boarding.

The space blanket swelled up a treat, pushing up against the underside/sides of bath. It has stopped the bath sounding 'tinny'. When you bang the inside of the bath it does not sound like a bell. Sounds just like the cast iron one. It may even keep the bath water warmer for longer :idea: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back