Steel double glassed frame replacement glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, really look for some help here...

I've got old steel type double glazing and I've managed to crack the glass and was wondering how to remove the glass so I can get a replacement.

ive previously removed upvc glass panels before which was quite straight forward but don't see any frame work that's removable on this window ??

any help much appreciated. here's some photos

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
  • window1.jpg
    window1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 107
  • window2.jpg
    window2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
So all you have holding the DG glass is rubber strips? If these are same as my shopfront windows, then all you need is a Flat putty knife something similar. Push it between the glass and seal and pry away, as you gently work along a small length of the seal.

Best to start in the corner, and at least that way once you've started you can just use your hands to pull out the entire single length, and just repeat for all four seals, but leaving the external ones in place, unless you wanna clean them?

Without looking like you have OCD?! ;) place the seals on the table/floor in a preferred order, so when you come to putting them back in, you have the correct ones for their original place. (I don't know why, but replacing them I got the feeling they were longer and I might have mixed them up?! :/ haha )

Replacing is just the reverse; start at one corner and push using your finger and thumbs and using a 1x2 piece of wood, push it along the seals. Ideally you might sped it all up if you put some fairy liquid on the glass, help the rubber seal move better.

If it all works good, please post a pic?! :)

Cant tell for sure without an external pic but it looks like you have externally beaded aluminum windows with an internal wedge gasket.
As above remove the internal rubber gasket and this will allow the beads and then glass to be removed from the outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back