Replacing double glazing after advice on frames/glass. Any reccomnded? Any to avoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing old timber framed doubled glazing with upvc and was wanting some advice on what frames and glass to go for. Local companies seem to use rehau, eurocell and aluplast frames. Then it's between pilkington k glass argon filled and planitherm glass.

Is there much between the above mentioned frames and glass? Any of them to be avoided?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
In terms of upvc profile then most systems are more or less on par with each other now, as we say a lot on here it's won or lost in the fitting, a middle of the road window fitted well is better than an expensive german sounding window that's been thrown in.

As for glass then my personal choice would be Planitherm by Saint Gobain, as a soft coat the metallic coating is all but invisible whereas the Pilkington K is pretty old tech now and is a hard coat and has a horrible bluey hue to it in the sun

Well it looks like safestyle have folded, failed to find a buyer, you'd think with the 'you buy one you get one free' offer then it wouldn't have been a problem?

Sponsored Links
Well it looks like safestyle have folded, failed to find a buyer, you'd think with the 'you buy one you get one free' offer then it wouldn't have been a problem?
Their website is still up and running as if nothing's wrong. You'd think that would be one of the priorities for the administrators i.e. get a message up on the website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back