steel pipe for main water supply rusted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a burst pipe between the external stopcock and internal stopcock. It was about 0.5m underground. The pipe was steel and rusted heavily. So I have to dig it out in order to replace it. I found the other part of the steel pipe is rusted too, but usable. I have to keep this usable part. Anybody has some idea to help to extend the pipes lifetime? I thought about some anti-rusty paint, or some tape to wrap it. I am not sure if it is going to help at all.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.
I quoted the cost of replace with mdpe, it is above £1000 by using the moling technique. I will do it in the future. At this moment, I have to keep the steel pipe for a while. Anti-rust paint or tape to wrap it? Or something else?

this may cost you but get whole lot replace with mdpe

new steel but kit will cost try your local hire place see got thread gear for hire and re do it that way and use copper and adapter between the two rusted parts

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much. I have cut the unusable rusted part and connected the usable steel pipe with copper pipe. The usable steel pipe has rusty sign. I am going to paint it or wrap it in order to make the lifetime longer.

new steel but kit will cost try your local hire place see got thread gear for hire and re do it that way and use copper and adapter between the two rusted parts

Nothing you do to it will make it last longer :cry: £1k for the moling job :eek: That`s £950 for the moling and £ 50 for the pipe - get digging a trench ;)

Thank you for your offer. I will use my insurance policy to do this.

Nothing you do to it will make it last longer :cry: £1k for the moling job :eek: That`s £950 for the moling and £ 50 for the pipe - get digging a trench ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back