Rust from iron supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is in a 110-year old house in London.

The cold water cistern is a bath-shaped fibreglass one, pale blue, so it shows the dirt :) I changed a noisy ball valve at the weekend for a Torbeck. The supply pipe is steel but has a copper stub on it. There is a very rusty old iron vent pipe from the cylinder hanging through the cover. At the bottom of the tank is rust-looking sediment.

The tank would have been fitted about 25 years ago.

I don't know if this is likely to have come from the supply pipe, or fallen off the vent. I am wondering if rust particles are liable to block the Torbeck.

Sponsored Links
you should not fit a plastic "torbec" in a cold water storage cistern mate, cant think of the reg at the moment but am sure that plastic ballvalves should not be fitted in tanks, sure one of the others will either agree or call me a moron.

even if I am a moron I would not fit a torbec to combat a noisey ballvale, a nice equilibrium ballvale will do the job much better

as for the rust probably sediment from the water, dont worry about it

Equilibrium ballvalves seem to be very expensive? and uncommon?

JohnD said:
Equilibrium ballvalves seem to be very expensive? and uncommon?

thats as maybe but its still the professional way to do it IMO :)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
but I'm an amateur bodger :LOL:

yeah sure you are

but if the plastic heap of wotsit breaks bet your customer wont take that for a reason for their new indoor water feature

lmao

my old mum :)

I have no customers... not a plumber... a DIYer.

p.s. the valve is apparently BS1212 part 4, don't know what that is.

BS 1212 refers to all Ballvalves

part 4 refers to the tobec plastic type

go on treat your mum to a nice 45 eq ballvalve

dont want to be a bodger all your life do ya

mind you I have made a nice living being one for twenty odd years

lmao

maybe I'll start saving up :(

I saw one on the web at about £27, is that typical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back