Rust Particles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a conundrum, and I'd love some advice

We have rust particles in our cold water. Only the cold water taps of the the two bathroom sinks, and the bath. The hot taps, cisterns, white goods, outside tap, kitchen tap are all not affected. There is no header tank - it's a sealed pressurised system.

It first started about 6 months ago. I contacted Thames Water; we're the only house to be affected, but they checked the pipe from the main to the meter, and replaced it with plastic. Things got better for a while.

We replaced the pipe from the meter to the house with 32mm plastic 7 years ago.
We replaced all pipework in the house (I think...) at the same time, as we moved the kitchen sink (and water in) 5ft. We also moved the boiler to the back of the house from the kitchen.

So I know where the water comes in (copper), I can see (via photos) where it went into the eaves (as we're a chalet bungalow), and that was all copper. I can see it now in the eaves (all plastic).

We then had the bathrooms redone four years ago. So all new pipework there.

Has anyone any idea where the metal is coming from? We have no old metal pipes as far as I can tell. I don't think it's coming from outside, as the two taps directly off the feed (kitchen, and outside) are fine.

My only thoughts are either the flexible connectors to the sinks/baths. All installed at the same time, but would they all go together? Or potentially the water softener - but it's a resin one.

It could be the hot is affected, and all the metal is in the tank. But nothing in the showers or cisterns.

I'm completely at a lose end. Should I try Thames Water again? Or somewhere else? Better photo.jpg One days deposits.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Flexible connections are lined with a plastic or rubber flexible pipe. The braid is just there to support the flexible pipe and doesn't get wet so it can't be from that.

The conclusive way to determine where the rust is coming from is to fit a filter on the incoming supply. That way you will then know if the rust is coming from the mains water (and you can prove it to the water board) or if its an internal problem.

The fact that it improved for a while when they replaced your mains feed with plastic indicates to me that its probably coming in from the mains feed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back