My Bathroom Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right to start off, there used to be a hot water cylinder in our bathroom right next to the bath which had a 22mm copper outlet for the hot water, this was then reduced to 15mm for the basin, then on through the house to the kitchen sink.....

2 years ago we had a combi boiler fitted in the kitchen, and the cylinder in the bathroom was removed. So now the hot water runs from the other way, 15mm in the kitchen then basin, then 22mm to the bath.

I am currently in the process of removing the exsisting bathroom rearranging it, and fitting a new suite. (with the rest of the house reno aswell)

The question is, when I am replacing all the copper pipe, do continue to use 15mm copper, then use 15mm to 22mm tap connectors, or should I consider replacing as much of the 15mm hot water pipe with 22mm.

I am using monoblock taps on the bath (22mm conection needed) and basin (15mm copper tails), I'm trying to avoid problems with low hot water flow into the bath, its a little lower since the combi was fitted anyhow.

Many thanks

ps. Believe it or not I did study plumbing at college for 2 years about 10 years ago, seems I forgot the bits about this, lol.

Sponsored Links
All hot pipework from combi boiler should be 15mm, except perhaps short links to basin and sink taps in 10mm.

chrishutt said:
All hot pipework from combi boiler should be 15mm, except perhaps short links to basin and sink taps in 10mm.

10mm?? They are new to me, wouldnt that cause a flow problem??

The bath taps I've got have 22mm conections?

Sponsored Links
Look, if you don't believe the advice you're being given, why bother asking? Do it all in 22mm for all I care - and have a long wait for the hot to come through everytime you turn on the hot tap. :evil:

Your only flow problem is the combi boiler. What on earth posessed you to get rid of a hot water cylinder?

chrishutt said:
Look, if you don't believe the advice you're being given, why bother asking? Do it all in 22mm for all I care - and have a long wait for the hot to come through everytime you turn on the hot tap. :evil:

Glad to see friendly advice is still available on the forum............ :oops: :oops:

I could not see a problem with the questions. I would assume that "offroader" is a novice plumber, rather than have a dig at him/her, you could explain why it would not be a problem, either that or not answer at all.......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

salem2000 said:
................... rather than have a dig at him/her, you could explain why it would not be a problem, either that or not answer at all..........

Take a bit of your own advice then.

oilman said:
salem2000 said:
................... rather than have a dig at him/her, you could explain why it would not be a problem, either that or not answer at all..........

Take a bit of your own advice then.

Because i'm not a plumber!! I came online to look for some info (which I found) Most times when i've required info, people have been very helpful, including yourself Oilman. Recently however there seems to be a lot of dis-respect shown for even the simplist of questions. Sad, very sad.

Salem.

Ill answer to keep the peace!!

Stick with 15mm and you cant go wrong.

You old system with a tank worked on gravity pushing the water from you tank to the bath taps. A 22mm supply would have been better then due to more flow.

Now you have a combi boiler your hot water is at mains pressure, an you don't need 22mm to supply your bath taps.

You only have a 15mm inlet to the combi boiler so what good is increasing to 22mm after?

If you use 22mm the only thing that will happen is you will be waiting longer for your taps to come through hot.

It's not only a one way problem. Too often people asking questions do it in a way that indicates they see it almost as a right to have an answer. They also post something they obviously didn't read after they wrote it, as no one would ever speak like that (doesn't apply to this thread though). Then anybody who answers here is expected to be 100% helpful and polite. Pay me something and I will be (hint!!!!! are you there Admin?) Sometimes a quick boot up the rs is more effective in getting posters to understand that if they want help, they have to behave too.

Oilman, I would be the first to agree with you, that some posts are lacking info, very scary and confusing to say the least.

There have even been posts on the forum from people who shouldn't even be allowed out on their own, let alone doing DIY. But I try to treat others as I would like to be treated myself. It's easy to slate someone online than face to face, but not nessasary is it.

Rant over, I hope!

Salem.

Maybe the questioners wouldn't be so rude either, face to face.

This is in no way a dig at you, as you're ok, but just to illustrate (and the original poster should have left the words out that caused Chris's response)

There have even been posts on the forum from people who shouldn't even be allowed out on their own, let alone doing DIY. But I try to treat others as I would like to be treated myself. It's easy to slate someone online than face to face, but not nessasary is it.

Fair enough, but if this had read:

There have even been posts on the forum from people who shouldn't even be allowed out on their own, let alone doing DIY. But I try to treat others as I would like to be treated.

You can see the difference in effect it has.

Oh dear what have I started, hehe....

Paul Barker said:
Your only flow problem is the combi boiler. What on earth posessed you to get rid of a hot water cylinder?

It seemed like a good idea at the time, hot water on demand, and got rid of storage heaters for CH, we've saved a lot on bills, apart from the combi breaking down a few times, lol.

salem2000 said:
I could not see a problem with the questions. I would assume that "offroader" is a novice plumber, rather than have a dig at him/her, you could explain why it would not be a problem, either that or not answer at all

Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right before the "You should always use 22mm for hot" Sorry if my posts upset anyone.

Thanks for all your advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back