The Verdict ! Will the 22mm pipe increase the hot taps flow?

And the only way to do that is to flog him a combi ???

Cos that's all you understand !

Sponsored Links
And the only way to do that is to flog him a combi ???

Cos that's all you understand !

So are you say fatter pipes will increase the pressure. :confused:

Why not read all the thread staring at the begining.

At the running tap, yes. and so does Chris, though he doesn't understand the maths, whereas you don't understand anything.

At the tap, yes. and so does Chris, though he doesn't understand the maths, whereas you don't understand anything.

You are saying a big pipe will increase the pressure. :LOL:

I think you are getting mixed up with pressure and volume sunny jim. :LOL:

Have fun, and feel free to be abusive. :eek:

Sponsored Links
How can it be abusive to point out you don't understand this? Is this this new fangled political correctness? Is it wrong to tell you that you have failed? If you choose to come on here and give advice, and the advice is wrong, it's only right and proper that your errors are pointed out.

Abusive would be to call you stupid. I am sure you are good at something, fluid dynamics just isn't in that list of subjects.

The only way the pressure would be increased is by raising the height of the CWSC.

Larger internal diametre pipes will increase the flowrate as they hold more water.

Nope.

If you think I'm a nobhead because I understand and quote the physics equations then take a look at what Chris said earlier.

He said the pressure drop would be less (ie. pressure at running tap higher) but he said the difference was not significant between 15 and 22mm pipe. Fair enough, that's his opinion, but he gets it.

If you don't get this then go and look at the pdf I linked to earlier (in an futile attempt to lead horses to water). If you don't understand it after reading that pdf then you shouldn't be charging punters money to do their plumbing.

There was a discussion about 3metres of pipe and would it help to make it 22mm; the answer was that it wouldn't make a significant difference. Simple.

But you had to gob off about how you can't use plastic pipe, which is irrelevant here, even if it were true.

You said the resistance of it (still irrelevant) was prop to 1/4th power of the ID, which is way off, it's far more complex than that.
You found an inadequate equation.
You assumed I'd looked at the table you found so you could tell me I'd looked it up wrongly. I didn't.
It's still irrelevant.
You need to take in the friction for plastic, which you still haven't understood. And it's still irrelevant to the post , which you only wanted to hijack so you could witter on about a favourite rant.
Which is still irrelevant to the post.
If you really want to make a half decent analysis of plastic pipe in any system you have to consider the different number of fittings, types of fitting, pipe materials and the rest.

But no, you just went on about how you shouldn't use plastic, even 22mm on a gravity system, as though it was some inviolable rule. Complete garbage. When you got shut up on that you went off about something else.

You even had to look a simple word up so you could make a significant mess of that!

you think I'm a nobhead
Well if you will interject like a nobhead, go off at a tangent like a nobhead, look the wrong things up like a nobhead, leave things out like a nobhead, and have to find a pile of verbage about a simple word, like a nobhead, then what do you expect?

Finally you got something right, you've discovered what you are! Congratulations!

You have to admit I'm right though, pressure at the tap will be higher in a 22mm pipe.

So what's the equation for pressure drop for water flowing in a pipe?

Thanks lads,

My Potterton Kingfisher boiler is now over 30 years old and so reliable so far and I find it hard to go the Combi route

Now have you looked up the efficiency of your Potty King?

And then calculated the cost of the gas you are wasting keeping it?

If your house and gas bill is higher like £1500 pa then you could easily be wasting £400-£500 compared with the cost of running a nice condensing boiler!

Tony

On average my gas bill approximately £700, 14 rads but most of them are very low setting as we have a log burner fire helping this and 4 hrs heating water. the log burner is not cheap to run but it's more of a luxury item :!:

You have to admit I'm right though, pressure at the tap will be higher in a 22mm pipe
You have a desperate need to be right about something?
Yes the DYNAMIC pressure is higher.( Not the STATIC pressure). But by, in this case, something like 10cm, so it's insignificant. It's like the resistance of a cable makes your light dim - but it's dim to use 6sqmm for 100W. Saying you can't use plastic on gravity is like saying you can't use aluminium as a conductor because its resistance is higher so you get dim lights. Just plain barking.

There isn't one, there are many many, depending how approximate you want the answer. But you can't leave relevant things out. If you want to compare plastic and copper there's lots to get right. Plastic isn't as resistive as you'd expect.
Modern plumbing textbooks cover it better than pre-plastic ones.

Bottom line is there's no point trying to be precise about it. If a tap's really designed for 20metres head , going from 2metres to 3, or 4, doesn't get you far. You don't get twice the flow at 4m because the resistances aren't constant, or even linear.

You have to admit I'm right though, pressure at the tap will be higher in a 22mm pipe.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Never heard so much drivel. :LOL: :LOL:

It's been fun. :mrgreen:

Never heard so much drivel. :LOL: :LOL:

It's been fun. :mrgreen:

Indeed it has gaswizzard - but I think you quoted the wrong poster :)

This forum is in serious need of people who can cut through the carp that working out how water flows through a pipe is somewhat tricky. The physics is extremely well understood and has been expressed in elegant equations that prove that small changes in bore can have large changes in how the fluid within behaves. This is summarised in simple tables that demonstrate the same.

As a gas wizard, you should appreciate this. You don't upgrade a boiler pipe to 22mm because it has more gas in it! You do that to reduce pressure drop.

Anyway - one shall just have to stick around to correct some of the nonsense posted on here. And that shall indeed be fun.

Do your custards fall for you bullshit chapeau.

Answer a simple question since you know what your talking about.

In the example with HP taps after spending several hundred quid upgrading the pipe to 22mm.

Exactly what increase in volume would the OP achieve at the taps.

What would you guarantee the improvement to be after you rip him off.

Shall I take a wild guess 0.1ltrs/min about an eggcup perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back