Hot water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to fit a new shower,toilet and sink to my daughters en suite and have noticed the hot water supply is in 15mm copper. The hot water comes from a copper hot water cylinder fed from via 28mm pipe from the 140ltr tank in the loft. the 15mm pipe is tee'd into the 22mm hot water pipe that feeds the rest of the house. The pipe run to the en suite is about 9m and the hot water pressure and flow seems ok but I will be changing the taps to a mixer. Should I replace the 15mm pipe with 22mm.

Sponsored Links
If the pressure and flow is ok for the existing fittings it will be fine for the new fitting however depending on the mixer tails diameter it may reduce the flow slightly.

the 15mm hot supply is probably only supplying the hot tap to the basin.
whats the cold supply mains or gravity ?

If the pressure and flow is ok for the existing fittings it will be fine for the new fitting however depending on the mixer tails diameter it may reduce the flow slightly.

Thats what I'm worried about as modern mixers taps seem to have small bore tails. Decided it's probally not worth the risk so will be fitting 22mm.

Sponsored Links
the 15mm hot supply is probably only supplying the hot tap to the basin.
whats the cold supply mains or gravity ?

Yes the 15mm is only supplying the basin does that make a difference, the cold supply is main.

Not sure how pressure and flow/volume works does the pressure remain the same with 22mm pipe but the volume is increased due to the larger bore.

whats that going to change if the flexis are still small bores.

Dont know but when I fitted my power shower mi's stated to use 22mm and only reduce down to the 3/4" 15mm tap connector for the last couplle of cm's so I thought he same principle would apply, please let me know if my assumptions are incorrect.

I have never upgraded to 22mm to feed a wash hand basin only. If you fit isolation valves fit full flow valves and you will be fine. Remember it is only a wash basin not a bath or a power shower. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back