Rust prevention ideas?

Sponsored Links
Boring factoid of the day...

WD40= Water Dispersal attempt number 40

What does it mean in detail? Water Dispersal Attempt? Could it mean attempt to disperse = dispose (spread, dry off?) water? It doesn't tell me much what it means in real life.

It certainly works great for silencing squeaky doors, smoothening stiff joins of the tools and handles, and cleaning rust too.

From my experience, WD40 weakens plastic connectors making them fall apart. I wouldn't apply to adjacent plastic connectors and joins. But metals and irons seem love WD40.

Last edited:
What does it mean in detail? Water Dispersal Attempt? Could it mean attempt to disperse = dispose (spread, dry off?) water? It doesn't tell me much what it means in real life.

It certainly works great for silencing squeaky doors, smoothening stiff joins of the tools and handles, and cleaning rust too.

From my experience, WD40 weakens plastic connectors making them fall apart. I wouldn't apply to adjacent plastic connectors and joins. But metals and irons seem love WD40.

The factoid was a little off, as it actually stands for "Water Displacement (formula 40)". Based on that name I'd assume a chemical reaction happens whereby less reactive H20 is displaced by the ingredients within WD-40?

Sponsored Links
The factoid was a little off, as it actually stands for "Water Displacement (formula 40)". Based on that name I'd assume a chemical reaction happens whereby less reactive H20 is displaced by the ingredients within WD-40?

Good thing about WD40 is cheaper than the other alternatives, and it is always there in the house somewhere - kitchen, bathroom, shed.
And most importantly it is not sticky at all, like oil. WD40 is easy to wash off hands or clothes with water and soap. Oil is sticky and difficult wash off once on your hands or clothes.

Use my tools all year never have to store for winter?

I use the tools often, but during the winter, some of them get just stored for months, forgotten until spring and summer, or when the needs to use the tools rose unexpectedly.

Good thing about WD40 is cheaper than the other alternatives, and it is always there in the house somewhere - kitchen, bathroom, shed.
And most importantly it is not sticky at all, like oil. WD40 is easy to wash off hands or clothes with water and soap. Oil is sticky and difficult wash off once on your hands or clothes.

It also smells divine

13906677_1274108835992151_1652993604638279854_n-758x569.jpg

I think just paint or spray any oil or water dispersant onto tools that are infrequently used and it keeps them in good condition. Some tools only get used once in a blue moon so really important to clean and oil after use so they are usable at the next blue moon.

Just used WD40 freeing the jammed chuck off my vintage 70s Record hand drill. One squirts into the chuck did the trick.
But I was wondering why some say WD40 is no good for rust prevention.

Because people read it on the internet and repeat it.

It lubricates like an oil, it repels water like an oil. It's an oil.

Not as simple as that, but I don't know the formulation. It evaporates, to leave a thin waxy film behind - which what gives the protection. The film is so thin, that it quickly wears off as soon as you touch an item. If you repeatedly spray something, allow evaporation, then the wax becomes more obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back