Rusty drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Went to use my drill today and noticed that the one of the titanium coated hss bits is pretty rusty. I've lent them out to a few people in the last few months so I assume someone didn't clean the bit after, but does anyone know what might of caused it to rust like this? Especially the black splodges. Sap from wood maybe (I know its not a wood bit)? water?

DSC02916-L.jpg

They're only cheap bits so is no biggy, was just curious

Sponsored Links
Don't lend tools out. You rarely get them back in the same condition.
Yes, water, or moisture from wood. It'll prob come off if you drill it into some timber or thin metal.
These can be used on timber btw.

Probably been used on metal and over heated, black bits are melted metal and rust will be on fragments annealed to bit.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I would have a problem with lending someone a 50p drill bit, but I certainly would not rely on it to be sharp or reusable when I got it back

Well its from a set of about 15 bits that cost less than a tenner, so its not a huge loss. I have a much better set that stays at home.

I've just noticed a bit of the same corrosion on the end of the chuck tho :mad:

As above:

DON'T LEND TOOLS- THEY CAN BUY THEIR OWN OR PAY YOU TO DO THE JOB!

Andy
Heed this advice,
I now have a 18''wackerplate totally knackered by 2 people who i loaned it to.
My cement mixer-- bits missing and covered in hard-on concrete in the drum.
A makita sander- burned out.
110 core drill knackered.
All because I am too soft and loaned these expensive pieces of equipment to DIY-ers who 'borrowed them cheap (free)- and treated them cheap.
Good pals of mine - who I only hear from when they want to borrow something off me. :evil:
Never again. (I hope).

Loaned a chainsaw out whilst his was being repaired.....silly get ran it with the chain brake on, and being a Ryobi came back as a blob of molten plastic.
Thats a hundred quid, cheers.
John :)

I loaned a neighbor a 4.5" grinder he brought it back saying its broken mate no offer of recon-pence I found out later he'd been cleaning out the caulking joints on his boat ,you can just imagine the blade getting stuck in the wooden joint then the tool going POP,a couple of days later.he comes round to tell me about the new grinder he'd bought himself ,he comes round again asking if the decorators filler he'd put in the joints on his boat would be OK, well I couldn't help having a little pleasure telling him it was absolute rubbish and would all have to come out or the boat would sink but still a grinder down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back