Rusty Drill Bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've noticed quite a few of my SDS drill bits are rusting.

I bought them as a set.

I only use them for DIY.

Is this a major issue?

Should I do something to stop them rusting?

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Clean them off, spray them with WD40 (or any other aerosol oil, there are some which leave a PTFE film which is very useful), and repeat after use. Keep your bits clean and they'll last you a lifetime (until you snap the tip off in some rebar).

Surface rust isn't a huge issue, just keep it under control.

and remember to add a little grease to the end of the bit each time you use them,helps keep the chuck lubricated.

Sponsored Links
And not ordinary grease unless you want to ruin the rubber. Use silicone grease.

really?
well you learn summit every day dont you :D
i always use the grease that comes with the unit,and it appears to be normal grease,never really gave it a thought.

And not ordinary grease unless you want to ruin the rubber. Use silicone grease.

really?
well you learn summit every day dont you :D
i always use the grease that comes with the unit,and it appears to be normal grease,never really gave it a thought.

Normal greases are hydrocarbon based and degrade rubber. Silicone grease does not. If it's clear or slightly white, it's silicone. If it's yellow it's probably your bog standard grease and is slowly eating away at any rubber part it comes in contact with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back