Best ways to dispose of left over 2 stroke fuel (petrol + 2 stroke oil)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a petrol engined weed streamer and hedge trimmers, and in the fuel tank, there are about half of the mixed fuel that I am going to empty out.

What would be the best way to dispose them? I was thinking dropping it off at the tip, but then it is a wee bottle of mixed fuel for 2 stroke engine, and I don't know when I am going to be passing through that way. I don't want to drive all the way to the tip about 8 miles away just to drop off the small fuel bottle.

But I also don't want to keep it in the shed for long time for fire safety reasons also. Any ideas?

Bearing in mind that this is unused old mixed fuel, is there other application around the workshop, it could be used for such as cleaning rust off the tools etc? But really haven't heard anything about mixed 2 stroke fuel had been used for cleaning rust or coating the hardwoods for rot prevention.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not very environmentally correct I admit, but neither is tipping fuel into council oil waste vats. As its a tiny quantity
I use it for starting the odd garden fire or failing that just let the fuel evaporate from a drain bowl and then tip the residue into my oil storage drum prior to recycling.
Nothing to stop you using it as a form of preservative if you want to but I prefer the conventional aerosol sprays.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Useful for cleaning dirty oily greasy things.

Bike chain, chainsaw, round the oil filler cap or drain plug.

Bit of a fire hazard but the petrol will soon evaporate off the rags.

Then you can use them on garden tools after cleaning, to discourage rust.

Leave it in an open container and will soon evaporate.
Or, soak some rags in it and let them dry, then safely burn them.
Careful because even if dry they'll catch fire very easily.

I have cleaned the greasy brushes with the petrol & 2 stroke engine oil mix, and it seems worked OK.

Can it be used for staining fence posts and fence panels? Does it have preserving wood property from rots and moulds?

My gut feeling tells me that the petrol on the wood will evaporate away, and there will be nothing there afterwards, but then there might be some residue chemicals on the woods stained with it which discourages rot or mould process? Just guessing. I am in the middle of replacing the old wooden fence panels and a post in the garden.

I have cleaned the greasy brushes with the petrol & 2 stroke engine oil mix, and it seems worked OK.
And what have you done with the 2 stroke engine oil mix that now includes grease from the brushes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back