Old cast iron pipe replaced by 15mm white wickes plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a nightmare at the weekend! An old cast iron pipe that had been tiled over in the kitchen rusted and burst. :cry:
The plumber replaced it with White Plastic piping from Wickes and with white plastic elbows.
I personally don't like plastic piping but he was adamant that it was absolutely fine.
This pipe feeds the hot water to my bathroom and is under mains pressure from a Combi boiler with water at 86deg c. It gets very hot indeed. This morning we woke up to a massive leak at one of the plastic elbows and the place got covered in steaming water! Nightmare.
Anyway - I am of the opinion that plastic pipe and it's unions are not up to withstanding this and am not sure I want to embed this pipe into the wall.
Does anyone else here agree with me or is the pipe he used very good for the job?
Thanks!
:)

Sponsored Links
It's fine.
It will need a bit of space to move slightly in the wall, as any pipe would.

Combi boiler at 86C Never unless there's something wrong with it.

Sponsored Links
Just curious - is the plumber who was admanant it would be OK compensating you for the damage, or is it a moot point since it's just the same stuff getting wet as did when the iron pipe burst?

Regards, Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back