connecting plastic soil pipe to cast iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to move a wc about 800 mm to one side to make room for a shower cubicle in a corner. The existing cast iron soil pipe exits through the floor and goes through a cast iron 90 deg bend into a straight length of cast iron pipe off at right angles to the wc. I would like to remove the existing 90 degree bend and extend the remaining cast iron pipe with a plastic pipe to the new wc location - using a further plastic 90 degree bend to complete the job.

My questions are: How do I separate the existing cast iron joint and then how can I fit the new plastic soil pipe to the cast iron straight length?

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Any help and advise very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Youll need to chip away at the cast joint to free it from the length. Then go to draincenter(plumbceter) for a straight cast to plastic adaptor.

Thats great -thanks. I'll get the hammer and chisel out and get down the plumbers merchant. :)

fitz1 said:
Youll need to chip away at the cast joint to free it from the length.

Bet you wouldn't get it out without breaking the socket especially if I had lead caulked it. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
Can u not melt the lead?

only with a welding torch :LOL: a stick of dynamite will shift it as well :LOL:

should have said where ya gona melt it to, the socket is first caulked with tarred twine, the lead is only decorative

Bet you can chip away with hammer & chisel, done loads, if it`s cast iron mate, it will not be jointed with anything special unless it`s one of those `special ` houses that DIA seems to work on, if it`s been built in the last 90 odd years you can expect it to be straightforward. Have a look, if you can`t see anything special..... TW*t it. OOHH LEAD CAULK EH?..THEM WUR THE DAYS LAD!!........... DON`T KNOW YOU`RE BORN.. WHEN I WERE A LAD, HAT TO GET UP 10 HOURS BEFORE YOU WENT TO SLEEP, EAT HOT GRAVEL FOR BREAKFAST... etc, etc,...

traineegasman said:
Bet you can chip away with hammer & chisel, done loads, if it`s cast iron mate, it will not be jointed with anything special unless it`s one of those `special ` houses that DIA seems to work on, if it`s been built in the last 90 odd years you can expect it to be straightforward. Have a look, if you can`t see anything special..... TW*t it.

Wrong again trainee.

Although we use lead wool nowadays, anything pre 1980 will be poured lead using a squirrels tail and chaulking irons.

We don`t use lead wool nowadays, We use PLASTIC! I stand by my original post :p :p

traineegasman said:
We don`t use lead wool nowadays, We use PLASTIC! I stand by my original post :p :p

Lower quality jobs use plastic.

Class jobs use cast iron

Conservation jobs use as existing

Touche, Sir, I`m man enough to know when I am outclassed.. You win... can I still be a pain in the arse though... just for a little while?? If I go, this site will be filled with Legendary Giants such as yourself..... No chance for us pitiful lost souls who clamber for the limelight..... Nahhhh, *******s to that Grandad! You don`t know what you`re talkin` about!.. Gimme plastic anytime!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You will soon learn trainee.

The client in the pic is spending £3 million quid, the building is subject to a conservation order.

Dare I say it, you live in a different world. :LOL:

DIA, You keep biting m8, I`m fishing, most of your mates have had the sense to not give me the benefit of replying to my posts, they`re still reading `cos every time I post I can see how many views it generates. Whatever Baby, gonna keep postin` gonna be interestin` & I know.............you`re all..... gonna be WATCHING THE TRAINEE GAS DUDE......!!!!! LATERS... STALE ONES!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

traineegasman said:
DIA, You keep biting m8, I`m fishing, most of your mates have had the sense to not give me the benefit of replying to my posts, they`re still reading `cos every time I post I can see how many views it generates. Whatever Baby, gonna keep postin` gonna be interestin` & I know.............you`re all..... gonna be WATCHING THE TRAINEE GAS DUDE......!!!!! LATERS... STALE ONES!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

I don't have a problem with that trainee, as I said before you will learn as much or as little as you like, just don't dismiss the old gits, like it not they're a minefield of knowledged :LOL:

I`ve only just found your last post DIA, aren`t you a sweetie. Between you & I m8, I`m fully aware of what I`m up to & the hostility it generates from SOME. Everyone`s had a sense of humour bypass on this site.. JUST HAVIN` A LARRRFFF!. Love you & ALL THE GUYS. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Also I do have the utmost respect for you & all that you stand for really, just let your hair down , POP, hang with the DUDES! & don`t believe everything I post is everything I believe, thought you would be clever enough to see through that DAD! XXXXXXXXXXX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back