Capping cast iron soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m removing a WC for good, and need to cap the soil pipe. My question is, in the photograph you can see a brown (cast iron) collar that seems to connect plastic to the (cast iron) soil pipe. Do I cap with the collar left on, or if I need to remove it, how is this done?

cheers

Daljit

Attachments

• 7D491E8F-8247-4EB6-A164-513FB54C3512.jpeg
    7D491E8F-8247-4EB6-A164-513FB54C3512.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Depends on how low you need that pipe to be. If that doesn't matter I'd leave it all, take the pipe out of the plastic above it and fit a cap in to the push fit plastic. Unless the pipe above it rises up and out through the room/roof and is a vent, then it would need alternative arrangements.

I was planning to box in the cast iron down pipe, so capping or cutting the current link to the WC as short as possible would be the ideal.

cheers

Where does the pipe above the cast knuckle go to? Oh hold on, is that pic on it's side, so the black cast to the left is actually heading up and your toilet pipe is the white heading into the knuckle?

You could cut the knuckle off with an angle grinder and then just use a flexseal/fernoc stop cap, if you can get in behind it. Just remember to clean up and paint the cut end with some hammerite/bitumen paint to stop it rusting.

th

Cut it out in sections and don't be tempted to tap it/knock it as you could crack the cast.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes photo is lying on its side! The knuckle with white plastic leads to the pan, black pipe runs vertically through the tenement.

I’d love to angle grind but unlikely to get round the back. Flex seal cap looks an option - I’ll ask merchant what plugs they have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back