replacing cast iron soil pipes with pvc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an existing cast iron soil pipe with pvc. There is a clay collar at ground level, and i'm wondering how to seal the pvc to clay connection as the clay collar is wider than the pipe. In the event of me breaking this clay collar whilst removing the cast iron pipe - what are my options?

Sponsored Links
What i do is gentle grind or breakaway the cement back to floor level then fit a multiquick connector, this gives a far better look and seal to the job.

If its a vertical salt glazed pipe then its often quicker to acccept that the collar is going to break and then use the multiquick as suggested.

Do not use Plumbers Mait or similar sealants as they must not be used on plastic.

Surprisingly cement mortar seems to be quite effective as an external seal to make the joint look good although it would not be the recommended method although it actually works well in practice.

Tony

Sponsored Links
wassup with the bloody edit :?: multikwick can be chewed by rats I`ve seen it :LOL: and done caulked lead soils too ;)

mancduff said:
I'm replacing an existing cast iron soil pipe with pvc. There is a clay collar at ground level, and i'm wondering how to seal the pvc to clay connection as the clay collar is wider than the pipe. In the event of me breaking this clay collar whilst removing the cast iron pipe - what are my options?

Have you imformed the BCO that you intend to remove the cast iron, and are you prepaired to re-instate the cast iron when they rap your knuckles.

Depending where you live, Most Councils will not allow what you intend to do, on the outside of the property.

Could be very expensive mistake you're making, and worth asking first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back