Broken soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I've had a bit of water ingress under my house (observed in the crawl space) and have tracked it back to the soil pipe outside. Picture is below but essentially a cast iron pipe dropping into a clay collar which then drops into a clay pipe and these two look to have a rubber (?) collar joining them. The cast pipe has corroded but the clay collar is also cracked as I can see the inside of it through the gap.

Don't really want to remove the cast iron stack, so can anyone advise what pipe / collar I can use to bridge the gap between the two please?

I'm guessing i'll need a 110mm single socket drain connector to replace the cracked clay one, but with the corroded cast iron pipe, is there an extendable or 'cut to size' connector?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_105435.jpg
    IMG_20210731_105435.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20210731_111538.jpg
    IMG_20210731_111538.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210731_111552.jpg
    IMG_20210731_111552.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Update, managed to get the cracked clay bit out. Latest photo below. Any advice on how to connect the two now please? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_122652.jpg
    IMG_20210731_122652.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 106
Have a measure of the internal diameter of the clay bit in the ground- if you're lucky it's a bit bigger than 110 mm so you need to cut the cast stack back a bit so you can wiggle half a metre of placcie in, join placcie to cast with a rubber coupler (check Toolstation or Screwfix, there are various sizes). I think there's one big enough to get round the clay collar, long as yr 110mm plastic is long enough (so it's in the brown not the black phnar phnar) it'll be fine. If there isn't a rubber coupler then sand/cement mortar between clay and plastic- rope and putty would be better but you might need a lot of linseed putty :)

Possibly a dc1, short piece of pvc and a flex seal type coupling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Do you reckon I could keep the plastic collar thats currently left on the clay pipe (see pic in second post above)? Tried to get it off but seems pretty solid and don't want to damage the clay pipe in the ground. The plastic collar has an inner diameter of 130mm but not sure of any fittings that would go into that. 110mm pipe, even with the thickness of the pipe is only c.116 so seems a lot of play...

Looks like a Hepsleve coupler, options are either, put a hacksaw through the 'Lip' on the leading edge of the collar, split the plastic ring and the rest of the collar should pull off without too much hassle, remove rubber seal then fit either one of these Underground Hepsleeve Clay Adaptor DS (Black) (directplastics.com) a DC-1 or a 'Flexseal', make up gap with plastic pipe and use a Flexseal to join to cast.

Make sure the cast above is adequately supported, it can often rely on the pipework below to help take some of the weight of that above, dont rely on old fixings through the 'ears' to hold it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back