Waste Pipe replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to change all the guttering and down pipes but i have a problem.
We have a cast iron waste down pipe which goes straight into the ground. That ground is concreted so there is no collar from the clay pipe going to waste drain. Is it possible that if i cut through the cast iron pipe with a heavy duty angle grinder i have that i could leave part of the cast iron pipe in the Clay pipe and then with a rubber adaptor i can joing the old Cast iron pipe to the new plastic stack. I will have to cut the old cast iron pipe quite low but at least a few inches above the ground. Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
I have done this before yes....

But this was on one of my own houses and i was happy with it...

Rubber adapter wont look good above ground so use a plastic one if possible.

There are adaptors available to join UPVC downpipes to cast iron, or just about any other material. Some fit inside the CI, and might allow you to cut the old pipe flush with the concrete if you so desire.

Some, like the Fernco range, have rubber collars that clamp to the outside of both pipes with hose clips. They would need a 2" or 3" or so stub projecting. Not so nice to look at, but effective.

It may be worth incorporating an access point to clear blockages without dismantling the entire downpipe.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Ticky, have a 'rodding' eye' (access point) at low level. If the guttering/downpipe gets blocked it will be easy to jet the gulley which is below ground.

Andy

There are adaptors available to join UPVC downpipes to cast iron, or just about any other material. Some fit inside the CI, and might allow you to cut the old pipe flush with the concrete if you so desire.

Some, like the Fernco range, have rubber collars that clamp to the outside of both pipes with hose clips. They would need a 2" or 3" or so stub projecting. Not so nice to look at, but effective.

It may be worth incorporating an access point to clear blockages without dismantling the entire downpipe.

A thank you to all who have replied to this topic I will be doing this job shortly.

TicklyT when you say incorporating an access point to clear blockages what exactly do you mean by that is there any pictures on the net which show such an access point?
Thanks for your help

google "timesaver" they are a bolt together connection which will join cast to plastic, you will also see access branch, rodding eye etc which will show you what we mean, basically it is a short piece of pipe with a flat access plate bolted on the front, when removed you can rod doen into the drain to clear blockages

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back