Steelwork Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think I may have a problem....

Context:
I have had a downstairs structural wall removed and a steel has been fitted to span the 3230mm gap (Steel dimensions: 160mm x 160mm x 6mm). This steel has a 6mm foot welded to the underside to support the ceiling joists (Joist dimensions: 200mm x 50mm) on both sides. On one end it is supported by being bolted to an upright steel column (column dimensions: 155mm x 155mm x 6mm), this column is bolted to a 1000mm x 1000mm concrete footing at the base and welded to an existing lateral lintel at the top. The other end is embedded in the wall on an additional 150mm nib and pad stone.

Problem:
When the steel was fitted, the column was placed 150mm short of the required location. The builder cut the excess length off the end of the steel to make it fit!.
When I highlighted the incorrect position of the column it was moved across to the correct location - happy client, yes? However, I have now realised that the end of the steel is only sat on the pad stone by 25mm so, including the nib, it is seated on 175mm of blockwork.

Question:
Does the steel have a large enough seating for the load it is bearing?

Plea:
The ceilings are going up tomorrow and the 'problem' will be hidden from view/building inspector so a quick response would very much be appreciated - please.

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry Cannot help with your question, but it sounds like you've done a similar job to what I'm planning, but our design has scared us off the cost of steel.

Do you mind tell me what your approx price was for the steel ?

Hi GKnight,

I think the steel was around £350. I can't be any more specific as I was quoted an 'all in' price for the build. I just heard the price in passing as there are worries that the steel will have to be remade if it's not long enough :(

Sponsored Links
Not really sure a photo would help FMT as the steel is already bricked in so can't see how deep into the wall the steel is embedded.

What detail would you like me to photograph?

Looking at your drawing the pad-stone looks to be a problem, 175mm would be fine as a bearing if the bearing is sound. But just to add, Building Control would want to sign this off before it gets covered up, so, if they haven't already signed it off don't cover it up.

By the way your builder is a clown for just chopping the steel down like that. If BC aren't happy he needs to buy you another UC at his cost.

25mm bearing on the pad doesn't seem right, though (depending on the load the beam is carrying) probably OK so far as the strength of the padstone itself is concerned.
But the off-centre load on the blockwork skin below certainly isn't ideal as it will induce a bending moment in that part of the wall. Would suggest you put this to your BCO.
It really needs to be put right. The builder has obviously made a mistake and you shouldn't have to put up with a potentially problematic botch to try and correct it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back