Stench Pipe & Drain in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old rusty stench pipe and a drain in my back garden. I am having my new patio laid and there is no problem with the drain as it'll be covered with a lid that has the slabs in so it doesn't stand out.

However, there is a horrible old stench pipe also sticking out of the ground with a rusty, old metal thing fixed on the top of it.

Is there anyway I can 'break' this off, cover it over or replace it with something more asthetically pleasing before my patio gets laid?!?!

Thanks

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Is the stench pipe Still used??? if it is, then what ever you do do not cover it over as this vents your sewer, without it you will have trouble when it comes to flushing a toilet or emptying the bath etc the old rusty thing on the top is probably some type of grill or mesh to stop debris from getting in the pipe and blocking it up!

You could have it replaced with a new plastic one and probably would be advisable in fact if it is cast iron, as it could break when the patio is being laid as they do become brittle over time, which will then hold up the patio job!

if the pipe is cast iron dig down a foot and rent a chain pipe cutter from your rental outlet, cut pipe off and refit with new plastic top and vent.
you can even relocate to new vent if you want to trench plastic pipe away from present location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back