Sticking vinyl floor to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my customer has decided on Zazous Seville vinyl floor. It looks pretty good quality, not like Amtico good, but not cheap either. About 3 or 4mm thick

They currently have a very smooth flat and well laid engineered timber floor so no need for hardboard or ply. The client doesn't really want any additional height to the floor anyway, as the vinyl is in the hallway which is currently at the same level as the kitchen.
Of course the timber veneer could have a whole number of finishes on it from oils to laquers, stains or varnishes.

Ball F44 is the product recommended. I questioned Zazous the supplier about sticking the vinyl straight to the engineered floor, he said no prep needed apart from cleaning.

Ball however, are suggesting F47 isolator. I'm not sure if this is just them trying to sell me an unecessary additional product. This is a fairly low traffic hallway as it's two working adults only in the house. Having said that I obviously want to get this right.

I figured I'd glue down a test piece and see what happens, but presumably there are people on here with lots of experience sticking vinyl to engineered floorboards and wanted to see what you thought.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Crazy mate that Fball have said glue straight to engineered wood. I'd say take it up or plywood over it.

I think you misunderstood. It wasn't FBall who said that. It was the flooring supplier.
Can't take it up as it was laid down to replace the old floorboards i.e. it is the structural floor that sits on the floor joists.
The F.Ball guy said I should use isolator with F47.
Not sure if this is critical or not? Am I being over zealous here, or am I right to assume that the F44 may have trouble bonding to a floor with oil, stain or varnish on it?

I see now. I'd plywood it then then glue to that or secret nail it or float the wood.

Sponsored Links
communicate with the guy by email to get it in writing then do as he suggests and use the isolator. You're covered then

daz; I didn't quite get the part where you said to replace/overboard the engineered wood, with plywood (which is itself, engineered wood) ?!

Gluing vinyl straight to engineered wood won't Last long as it's not stable enough imo.
Over time you will see the joints of the boards.
So putting 5.5mm plywood over the top then gluing to that is the best way.

It's a good point; should the ply run at a 45 degree angle to the floorboards, to eliminate the possibility that the edge of some ply sheet coincides with the edge of a floor board?

Do the ply sheet edges grin through?

(Bizarrely, I can see some of my UFH pipes grinning through my polyflor, even though they're at the bottom of a 50mm screed)

Run plywood 90° to floorboards then cut to suit to wall and check other end doesn't land on floorboards joint

Do the ply sheet edges grin through?
Can do but won't ever look as bad as loads of individual planks, a real proper job would have a fibre smoothing compound over the top of the ply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back